Garlic Butter Rice is the perfect side for any meal. It’s full of flavor; buttery, garlicky – and so good you can eat it plain!
This is like the rice version of garlic bread. In my world, garlic bread goes with almost any meal except Asian food.
But this Garlic Butter Rice? Now this goes with anything. Western, Asian, Mexican, Mediterranean, French. I honestly can’t think of a single cuisine or dish this would not suit.
I love making rice in this way – seasoned and flavoured so that it’s so tasty, it can be eaten plain. I could eat a meals’ worth straight out of the pot – it’s that good!
Garlic rice is a dish that is found in some Asian countries. I think it’s quite common in the Philippines. This is my everyday version – yes it’s garlicky and buttery, but not insanely so. Definitely feel free to up the garlic and butter to your taste, but I’d suggest trying the base recipe first then adjusting it to your taste. Extra butter can be stirred in at the end to your taste.
Slicing garlic thinly then cooking it until golden and crispy is optional but honestly, I think it is the crowning glory of this rice. It doesn’t add strong garlic flavour, it’s more about adding crunch with sweet garlic flavour. Keep the slices whole, as pictured, or crumble it up and disperse it throughout the rice. Or for a shortcut, you could use Crispy Fried Shallots or Garlic that’s sold in jars at Asian stores and some supermarkets. They are so good, I always have a jar on hand – I use them in salads, soups, imagine the possibilities of what you can sprinkle it on! I even use it on pasta!
Sometimes I stir scallions throughout the rice, sometimes I just garnish it lightly, as pictured. I think it adds a nice touch of freshness to the rice.
This Garlic Butter Rice is one of those sides that can transform any every day recipe into something extra tasty. I really hope you try it one of these days – I think you’ll be as addicted as I am!
Garlic Butter Rice
- 6-8 cloves garlic very finely sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola, grapeseed or other neutral flavoured oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons butter salted or unsalted, divided
- 1 ½ cups white rice medium or long grain is best (raw)
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¼-½ cup scallions finely sliced
- white pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic slices and saute, moving constantly, until golden and crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour out excess oil then return to the stove.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add garlic. Cook for 1 ½ minutes or until the garlic starts to turn light golden and the butter is well infused with garlic flavour.
- Add rice, stir to coat in garlic butter.
- Add broth, place lid on saucepan. Bring to a boil then immediately turn down to medium low.
- Cook for 12 – 15 minutes or until liquid is all absorbed by the rice. Tilt saucepan to check.
- Remove from stove but leave lid on. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, transfer into serving bowl. Stir through remaining butter and scallions, or garnish as per photos. Sprinkle with crispy garlic, salt, and pepper. Serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love