This Crockpot Chicken and Rice is easy, cheesy and a family favorite! It’s full of flavor and so quick to prepare, making it the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.
Instant brown rice, a good serving of vegetables, and simple ingredients make this Crockpot Chicken and Rice one of those crockpot chicken recipes that everyone will love! No canned cream of chicken soup here :)
It’s hard to believe that we’re heading into crazy, back to school season shortly. I feel like we just got started with summer!
Easy crockpot dinners are definitely going to make the transition a lot smoother, and this Chicken and Rice Crockpot recipe is going to be on repeat along with Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings.
It couldn’t be simpler to put together, especially when there’s not a lot of extra time for dinner prep. I used instant brown rice in this recipe because it is so easy to cook — just throw it in the crockpot once the chicken is cooked and it is tender and fluffy in no time
I added carrots, peas, and roasted red peppers (because the flavor they add is amazing!), but you could also add celery, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini or anything else your family enjoys. Just keep in mind that some vegetables will cook more quickly than others and you want to add them at just the right time.
I wanted to add a good portion of veggies in this chicken and rice recipe so that I would feel great about serving it as a stand alone meal to the kids. Brown rice along with extra veggies make it a bit of a healthy chicken and rice crockpot recipe!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Rice:
- Add the vegetables, broth, seasoning and chicken to the crockpot. Make sure your vegetables are chopped finely so that they cook in the same amount of time as the chicken (because nobody wants overcooked chicken!).
- Add instant brown rice, and it soaks up all the extra liquid and cooks up nice and fluffy.
- At the end, stir in a little milk and cheese to give it a touch of creaminess (and because my kids eat anything with cheese in it!). Voila, a yummy sort of slow cooker chicken and rice casserole!
More Great Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Chili Recipe – Great for a crowd!
- Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese – Reader Favorite!
- Crock Pot Chicken Wings
How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken In a Crockpot?
The answer to this question really varies, and there are as many different answers as there are crockpots. In general, smaller crockpots will heat more efficiently and therefore take less time to cook. Larger crockpots will take longer to heat up and longer to cook.
Overall, a good rule of thumb for crockpot chicken breast timing is 2 hours on high and 3-4 hours on low, but it’s especially important that you know your slow cooker to avoid overcooking. A meat thermometer is essential for making sure it’s cooked just right!
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a 3-4 quart crockpot, stir together the broth, carrots, onion, red peppers, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken breasts, and cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, remove and place on a cutting board.
- Stir in the peas and rice to the crockpot, cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice thinly.
- After 15 minutes, stir the chicken, milk, and cheese into the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 15 more minutes, until cheese is melted and rice is tender.
- Serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)