We love spaghetti squash in our house! If you’ve never made it before, it’s such a great veggie! Once cooked, the squash turns into spaghetti-like strands. Fun to eat, the kids love it and its just yummy! We top ours so many different ways, but it is great even just with a touch of butter, salt & pepper!
You can cook your spaghetti squash in the oven but I usually do it in the microwave. The key to getting it right in the microwave is to be sure not to add to much water. I add 1/4 cup water for 1/2 a squash and 1/3 cup water if I am cooking both halves. Once cooked (you should be able to pierce the skin easily with a fork), use a fork to scrape & separate the strands.
Feta Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large tomato diced and drained, or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or to taste, or basil
- lemon for serving optional
- salt & fresh black pepper to taste
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise & scoop out the seeds. Place ¼ cup water in a small casserole dish and add squash face down. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 8 minutes (or bake in the oven per notes below).
- While squash is cooking, heat butter over medium low heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and cook 1 minute more.
- Once cooked, use a fork to scrape out the squash and separate the strands.
- Toss with the onion mixture and feta cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)