Perfectly crispy air fryer onion rings are way better than the frozen variety (and easy to make)!
Satisfy your craving and skip the takeout (and the extra fat). Onion rings aren’t difficult and taste amazing.
Air Fryer Onion Rings
Finally, we can enjoy crispy, crunchy onion rings without a vat of oil!
We love air fryer recipes because they come out so crispy and are so easy to make! The air fryer needs less oil, creates fewer fat calories, and plus it takes less time. What’s not to love?
ONIONS We like large, sweet onions like Vidalias, but if Walla Wallas are available, those are the best!
FLOUR This simple dredge adds seasoning but most of all helps the coating stick to the onions.
BUTTERMILK & EGG This helps the crumbs stick. If you don’t have buttermilk, cream or milk will work.
How to Make Air Fryer Onion Rings
Make a double batch of these beauties, because you can be sure that they will disappear in no time!
- Cut onions into ½ inch slices and separate the rings.
- Combine flour, seasoned salt, & cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl until they are frothy. Stir breadcrumbs, oil, & cornmeal in another bowl.
- Dip each ring into eggs, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, then place in the preheated air fryer.
- Fry rings in a single layer until golden brown & crispy on the outside, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove onion rings from the air fryer & sprinkle with seasoned salt or sauce. Serve immediately.
Can you Freeze Onion Rings?
Freeze cooked and cooled onion rings in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside. They’ll keep fresh for up to 8 weeks in the freezer.
Cook from frozen in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Appetizers
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – perfect for dipping
- Crispy Air Fryer Dill Pickles – ready in 30 minutes
- Everything Air Fryer Wings – so flavorful
- Air Fryer Taquitos – cheesy with a kick
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries – only 4 ingredients
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks – so cheesy & gooey
Did you enjoy these Air Fryer Onion Rings? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Onion Rings
- 1 large sweet onion
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal optional
- Peel onion and cut into ½ " thick slices. Separate slices.
- Combine flour, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Whisk egg and buttermilk in a second bowl. Toss breadcrumbs, oil, and cornmeal in a third bowl.
- Dip each onion into egg mixture and then into the flour mixture. Dip it back into the egg mixture and finally into the bread crumb mixture pressing to adhere.
- Once all rings are coated, spray each with cooking spray. Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
- Place onion rings in the air fryer in a single layer and cook for 12-15 minutes or until crisp on the outside.
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!