Who doesn’t have fond childhood memories of being served a classic Shirley Temple Drink on a fun night out with the family?
Sweet grenadine mixed with orange juice & Sprite is served over ice in a tall, skinny glass, with a maraschino cherry or two bobbing on the top! Being a kid never felt so grown-up!
What is a Shirley Temple Drink?
I can remember as a kid how special it was to get a Shirley Temple at dinner when we went out! Such a great treat.
- Named after the famous actress and child star of the 1930s, a hotel bartender created a mocktail just for her as she dined with her parents. Today, it’s still a popular drink served to kids on special occasions!
- Double or triple the recipe and pour Shirley Temples from a glass pitcher at Christmas parties (or fill a punch bowl if you’d like).
- Keep the non-alcoholic drink (‘clean version’) as is or add a jigger or two of vodka or rum for grown-up “Dirty Shirley Temple”. Let guests garnish their own.
- This Shirley Temple drink recipe can be made into a ‘Roy Rogers’, simply swap out the ginger ale for coca cola (Coke) or grape juice.
Ingredients & Variations
GRENADINE: The other ingredients may vary a bit, but grenadine, a pomegranate syrup, is the sweet and colorful star of the show! No grenadine? No problem! Substitute some of the maraschino cherry juice or mix homemade grenadine by combining 1/4 cup pomegranate juice with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
MIXERS: Choose any carbonated mixer like ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, 7up, or Sprite, plus a splash of orange or pineapple juice. Optional additions include a splash of fresh lime juice or lemon juice.
GARNISHES: Fancy drinks need colorful decorations! Thinly sliced orange slices and maraschino cherries (with stems if you can find them!) are the original touches for Shirley Temples and Roy Rogers drink! Lime wedges or a few frozen berries are also fun to use!
How to Make a Shirley Temple
This colorful drink is super easy to make:
- Place ice in a small glass and fill with ginger ale or 7-Up.
- Add grenadine syrup and optional orange juice. Stir and serve.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and an orange slice. Serve with a colorful straw!
Tips for the Best Mocktail (or Cocktail!)
- It’s easy to make homemade mocktails! Chill glasses and all ingredients before making drinks (including alcohol).
- Use crushed ice instead of larger ice cubes for a more festive look.
- Make a DIY Shirley Temple station and let everyone make their own!
Be the Bartender!
- Tequila Sunrise – so bright & fruity
- Paloma Cocktail – easy to make
- Lime Margaritas – perfect for a crowd!
- Kir Royale Cocktail – only 2 ingredients
- Cosmopolitan Drink – so classy!
Did you make this Shirley Temple recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 8 ounces ginger ale or lemon lime soda
- 1 ounce grenadine syrup
- 1 ounce orange juice optional
- maraschino cherries and orange slices for garnish
- Place the ice in a small glass and fill with 7-up or gingerale.
- Add grenadine syrup.
- Garnish with cherries and a slice of orange.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)