Who doesn’t have fond childhood memories of being served a classic Shirley Temple Drink on a fun night out with the family?
Sweet grenadine mixed with orange juice & soda is served over ice in a tall, skinny glass, with a maraschino cherry or two bobbing on the top!
Being a kid never felt so grown-up!
What is a Shirley Temple Drink?
Everyone remembers how special it was to get a Shirley Temple at dinner as a kid. Named after the famous actress and child star of the 1930s, a hotel bartender created a mocktail just for her as she dined with her parents. Today, it’s still a popular drink served to kids on special occasions.
- Double or triple the recipe and pour Shirley Temples from a glass pitcher at Christmas parties (or fill a punch bowl if you’d like).
- Have it your way! Keep the non-alcoholic drink as is, or add a jigger or two of vodka or rum for grown-up “Dirty Shirley Temple”. Let guests garnish their own.
- Versatile mocktail! This Shirley Temple drink recipe can be made into a ‘Roy Rogers’; swap out the ginger ale for coca-cola (Coke) or grape juice.
Ingredients & Variations
Grenadine – The sweet and colorful star of this mocktail is grenadine, a pomegranate syrup. If you don’t have grenadine, you can substitute some of the maraschino cherry juice or mix homemade grenadine by combining 1/4 cup pomegranate juice with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Mixers – Choose any carbonated mixer like ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, 7up, or Sprite, plus a splash of orange or pineapple juice. Try a splash of fresh lime juice or lemon juice.
Garnishes – Fancy drinks need fancy garnishes! Add colorful fruits like thinly sliced orange slices and maraschino cherries (with stems if you can find them!). Lime wedges or a few frozen berries are also fun to use.
How to Make a Shirley Temple
This colorful drink is super easy to make:
- Place ice in a small glass and fill it with ginger ale or 7-Up (per recipe below).
- Add grenadine syrup and optional orange juice. Stir and serve.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and an orange slice. Serve with a colorful straw!
Tips for the Best Mocktail (or Cocktail!)
- It’s easy to make homemade mocktails! Chill glasses and all ingredients before making drinks (including alcohol).
- Use crushed ice instead of larger ice cubes for a more festive look.
- Make a DIY Shirley Temple station and let everyone make their own!
Be the Bartender!
Did you make this Shirley Temple recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Shirley Temple Drink
- 8 ounces ginger ale or lemon lime soda
- 1 ounce grenadine syrup
- 1 ounce orange juice optional
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- orange slices for garnish
- In a 12 oz glass, add the ice and grenadine syrup.
- Fill the glass with 7-up or ginger ale.
- Add the orange juice.
- Garnish with cherries and a slice of orange.
- chill glasses & ingredients before mixing drinks (including any added alcohol).
- Optionally, add a splash of fresh lime juice or lemon juice for an extra zing.
- Use crushed ice instead of ice cubes for a slushy-style drink.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.