A Cosmopolitan Drink is perfect when you want to serve a really classy cocktail with some sweetness and holiday color to it! Triple sec orange liqueur, shaken not stirred with cranberry juice, fresh lime and vodka… ah, what could be better?
A tasty cocktail needs great ingredients and a good recipe to get the proportions right. It’s important when making classic drinks like the Martini, Mojito, or Moscow Mule, to measure correctly and then tweak if you’d like.
Fortunately, it’s not at all hard to mix and measure perfectly. We’ve got you covered.
What’s in a Cosmopolitan?
Just a few easy to find ingredients and you’ll have the perfect cosmopolitan in hand!
- Vodka – Use Vodka Citron if desired or go for Tito’s!
- Triple Sec – This is an orange flavored liqueur and it adds a bit of sweetness. Sub in a splash of cointreau (you won’t be sorry you spent the extra, it’s delicious) or even grand marnier. Stay away from artificial curacaos in brightly dyed colors. They can pack a wallop, and not in a good way!
- Cranberry Juice – Try 100% cranberry juice or good old “cranberry juice cocktail” will do just fine for a sweeter cosmopolitan drink.
- Lime Juice – Squeeze limes or juice them, but whatever you do, don’t use lime juice concentrate as you find in those little green lime shaped bottles! If you ever try them side by side, you’ll never buy those bottles again!
Shaken vs Stirred?
The endless debates about whether to shake or stir, stir or shake…are frankly a bit pretentious.
- Shaken: If you like a drink frosty cold, shake it in ice, and strain quickly so it doesn’t get diluted. Add salt later… if putting a teensy bit of salt in cocktails is even your thing.
- Stirred: Stirring is great if you are very particular about your drinks not getting the least bit cloudy or the tiniest bit diluted.
Personally, I love cocktails icy cold so I say…shaken, not stirred!
How to Make a Cosmopolitan
Start by getting your martini glass frosty in the freezer! Then start prepping your classic cocktail.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. (If you don’t own a cocktail shaker, a very clean travel mug with a lid and spout does the job perfectly!)
- Add all the ingredients and shake like crazy until frosty cold. Strain into a frosted martini glass and garnish as desired. That’s all there is to it!
You can see for yourself how simple it is to make this classic cocktail. Follow the recipe below for the perfect proportions! Enjoy it with friends and family for New Year’s, Christmas, or any time of the year! Happy Holidays!
To prepare batches ahead of time: Mix all of the ingredients in a container with a using 1 cup vodka, 1/2 cup triple sec, 1/2 cup cranberry juice and 1/4 cup lime juice. To serve, pour each serving into a martini shaker and shake until icy cold. Strain into a martini glass and serve.
More Classic Cocktails
- French 75 – perfectly bubbly!
- Moscow Mule – classic & refreshing cocktail
- Easy Mimosa Recipe – lots of great variations
- Classic Martini– made with just 3 ingredients
- White Russian Cocktail – sweet & creamy cocktail!
- Shirley Temple Drink – virgin or dirty!
Cosmopolitan Drink Recipe
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- Place a martini glass in the freezer.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all ingredients. Shake well at least 30 seconds to chill.
- Pour into prepared martini glass. Garnish with a lemon rind.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.