This family-friendly recipe for tater tot casserole is the easy, cheesy, hearty way to feed a crowd!
A quick and creamy casserole with ground beef and veggies is topped with cheese and of course tater tots before baking.
SAUCE: Cream of mushroom soup makes an easy gravy (you can use homemade condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup if you’d like) or even gravy mix or tomato soup to make more of a Shepherd’s Pie inspired meal.
VEGETABLES: I most often use fresh veggies (and frozen corn) but either fresh or frozen will work just fine in this recipe. If you have leftover veggies, you can use those too.
VARIATIONS: As a breakfast casserole, use ground breakfast sausage, diced country ham, or bacon bits.
Canned soups can be replaced with gravy (or canned gravy) or even condensed tomato soup.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make this simple and quick comfort food casserole:
- Brown ground beef & onion.
- Mix veggies, soup, milk, seasonings, & beef in an oven-proof dish. Top with tater tots & cover with cheese.
- Bake per recipe below until cheese is bubbly & tater tots are browned on top.
Tater tot casserole can be made in the crock pot as well!
To Make a From Scratch
This recipe is very versatile and it’s easy to make from leftovers.
- Make homemade condensed mushroom soup or even leftover gravy.
- Use fresh vegetables in place of frozen.
- Use homemade tater tots.
- Keep tater tot casserole in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave and serve for a quick school or workday lunch (or in the oven if you’d like the tots to stay crispy).
- Freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 weeks.
- Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Comfort Food Casseroles
- Easy Tuna Casserole – a reader fave
- Baked Penne Casserole – with meatballs
- Taco Tater Tot Bake
- Cheesy Chicken & Potato Casserole – so cheesy & flavorful
- Tater Tot Hot Dish – with sour cream
- Baked Mac and Cheese – so easy to make
Did you make this Tater Tot Casserole? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Classic Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 bag tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups frozen or fresh vegetables* diced
- 1 can mushroom soup
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- In a bowl mix the vegetables, soup, milk, seasonings, beef mixture, and ½ cup shredded cheese together and spread into a casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Top with tater tots and bake 40-50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the tots are golden brown.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!