This family-friendly tater tot casserole recipe is easy, cheesy, and a hearty way to feed a crowd!
A hearty layer of ground beef and veggies is smothered in a shortcut sauce is topped with cheese and tater tots and then baked to golden perfection.
A fuss-free and oh-so-satisfying meal, it’s a hit with everyone at the table!
An Easy Family Favorite
Tater Tot Casserole, aka Tater Tot Hotdish, is a beloved Midwest classic that has found its way into the kitchens (and hearts) of people all over.
- This classic comfort food has simple ingredients that you likely have on hand.
- This casserole is inexpensive to prepare and extra veggies can stretch the meal further.
- This meal only needs 15 minutes of prep and can be prepared ahead of time.
- It’s great as a meal on its own or serve with a quick side salad.
Ingredients in Tater Tot Casserole
- Ground Beef: Lean ground beef is the base of this recipe but use any type of ground meat, like ground turkey.
- Sauce: Cream of mushroom soup makes an easy sauce for this casserole recipe. Any “cream of” soup will work just fine, cream of chicken soup is a great alternative.
- Vegetables: I most often use fresh veggies (and frozen corn or peas) but frozen mixed vegetables are a great quick option. Add in your favorites from mushrooms to green beans.
- For extra flavor, stir any of the following into the ground beef mixture: garlic powder, onion powder, or Worcestershire sauce.
- As a tater tot breakfast casserole, use ground breakfast sausage in place of beef.
- Canned soups can be replaced with leftover gravy (or canned gravy) or even condensed tomato soup.
- Homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup can be used in this casserole.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This one of those easy dinners that’ every in my family loves’ll become a regular in your rotation.
- Brown ground beef & onion in a large skillet.
- Mix veggies, soup, milk, seasonings, & beef in a baking dish. Top with frozen tater tots & cover with cheese.
- Bake per the recipe below until the cheese is bubbly & tater tots are browned on top.
Tater tot casserole can be made in the crock pot as well!
- Keep tater tot casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave and serve for a quick school or workday lunch (or in the oven if you’d like crispy tater tots).
- Freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers for up to 6 weeks.
- Let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Did you make this Tater Tot Casserole? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Classic Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 bag tater tots
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables* thawed, or fresh diced fresh vegetables
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- In a bowl mix the thawed vegetables, soup, milk, seasonings, beef mixture, and ½ cup shredded cheese. Spread into a 3qt (or 9×13-inch) casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with tater tots and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the tots are golden brown.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.