Sausage Gravy is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. A long-time family favorite, homemade sausage and gravy goes hand-in-hand! Its great over biscuits, fried chicken, and even waffles or mashed potatoes!
How to Make Sausage Gravy
With just 5 ingredients, a great Southern Sausage Gravy is a cinch to make and pretty much fool proof! To make homemade sausage gravy:
- Crumble up the ground sausage while it cooks until the pieces are very fine.
- You need the fat to make the roux so do not drain the sausage once cooked (or even add a bit of bacon grease- so good!).
- Add the flour and cook for about two minutes.
- Add a little milk a bit at a time and keep stirring until it gets smooth and creamy. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer until it is thickened.
Be sure to season sausage gravy with salt and pepper. Of course nothing goes hand in hand like Biscuits and Gravy so serve this sausage biscuit gravy right away (or put it over cornbread or serve with fried chicken)!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil – so much fun!
- Easy Turkey Gravy – another easy gravy
- Biscuits and Gravy – a southern classic>
- Baked French Fries (Oven Fries) – great under gravy!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – quick and easy base for this recipe!
Tips for the Best Sausage Gravy
- Seasonings: Make sure you use a seasoned sausage or add your own seasonings including sage, salt and pepper.
- Fat: To make a good sausage gravy you need fat so don’t drain your sausage. Add in real butter and/or bacon fat for great flavor!
- Keep it Simple: Sausage gravy isn’t a fancy dish it’s just plain ol’ good. No need to add in a lot of extras.
- Serve with Starches: Biscuits are traditional but any starches from potatoes to breads will work just fine!
Serve this Sausage Gravy over traditional biscuits or any of the following:
- Toasted English Muffins
- No Boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Easy Home Fries
- Hash Browns
Even better, top this with a soft egg so the yolks are runny. Heaven on a plate.
The Best Sausage Gravy Recipe
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or bacon fat
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ⅓ cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage over medium high heat until no pink remains. (Do not drain).
- Add butter (or bacon fat) and cook to melt. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add milk a little bit at a time stirring after each addition.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick and bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)