Homemade chicken nuggets are juicy and tender inside with a nice crispy crust. Tender chicken breasts are rolled in a flavorful seasoned crumb coating.
These are oven-baked meaning they’re not only delicious but better for you!
No one really knows what’s in those drive-through, deep-fried chicken nuggets. They’re often deep-fried and left under warming lights before they get served. You can easily make your own crispy, oven-baked chicken nuggets at home!
- We love this recipe because we know all of the ingredients.
- It’s a much healthier version of a childhood favorite!
- The chicken is lightly breaded and baked instead of fried!
Ingredients & Variations
Fresh chicken breast is cut into 1 1/2″ chunks (boneless thighs will work too). Freeze the chicken breast for 20 minutes before cutting so it’s easier to cut into chunks!
Cornflake crumbs for sweetness & crunch, Panko bread crumbs for crunch and seasonings for flavor.
What’s great about this recipe is that in the breading stage, any kind of seasoning mix can be added: taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, ranch seasoning, and even Greek seasoning make chicken nuggets your own!
How to Make Chicken Nuggets
Super easy, these chicken nuggets will be ready to munch in 1-2-3!
- Combine crumb mixture.
- Toss chicken pieces in eggs and sesonings and dredge in crumbs.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until the chicken is cooked through.
Tips for Perfect Crispy Nuggets
- The best chicken nuggets are extra crispy! To make the breading stick, press it into each piece all the way around.
- No need to turn the nuggets over in the oven, they will bake on both sides.
- Once chicken nuggets are cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To keep them crispy, reheat in a toaster oven or under the broiler.
- Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce – 5 minute cook time
- Honey Mustard Sauce – only 4 ingredients
- Easy BBQ Sauce Recipe – perfect for dipping
- Buffalo Sauce – 3 simple ingredients
- Cheese Sauce – creamy & flavorful
Did your family love these Chicken Nuggets? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Crispy Chicken Nuggets
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts cut into 1 ½" chunks
- ⅔ cup cornflake crumbs
- ⅔ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon each seasoned salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Crush corn flakes into fine crumbs. Combine crumbs with Panko, cornmeal, and half of the seasonings.
- Combine milk, beaten egg and remaining seasonings. Toss chicken the egg mixture and then dip each piece into the crumb mixture pressing the crumbs to adhere.
- Place chicken on prepared pan and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
More Oven Chicken Recipes
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Roasted Split Chicken Breast
- Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- Crispy Oven Chicken Tenders
- Lemon Roast Chicken
Can this be made with ground chicken molded into nugget shapes?
I have never tried that method with this recipe, Chloe! But I would love to hear how it turns out for you.
My super picky family LOVES these nuggets. It is almost impossible for me to find a recipe everyone enjoys. This recipe is now in our weekly rotation. THANK YOU!
So happy to hear that, Kimberly! We love when one recipe is a hit with the whole family.
Hi, do you have any instructions for not using cooking spray on the chicken i prefer to use you oil can that be incorporated into this process?
I have only made the recipe as written Alana. You could try adding a small dollop of butter on top of each nugget. Enjoy!
i love chiken thanks holly
This looks like something my kids would adore! Thank you for making this awesome blog. P.s love that were in the same province very cool!
So glad you’ve enjoyed the recipe Nicole! Happy Cooking!
I’m not familiar with cornmeal. What can I use as an alternative? Thank you.
Hi Gayle! Grits, ground flaxseed, semolina, or corn flour can all be used in replace of cornmeal. Let us know how these chicken nuggets turn out for you! :)
These sound wonderful, could they also be prepared in an air fryer? How many pieces is one serving?
Hi Jayn, they can be made in the air fryer. I would just follow the instructions on this post and adjust the cooking time a little bit because nuggets are smaller than tenders!
Let us know how they turn out for you!