White chicken chili is one of our go-to easy weeknight dinner ideas. Chicken, poblano peppers, mild green chilis, corn, and white kidney beans are slow simmered in a savory chicken base. Stir in some sour cream and top it with tortilla chips and cilantro for the perfect white chili recipe!
White Chicken Chili
This creamy white chicken chili recipe is a simple dinner that is ready in just 40 minutes, making it a fairly quick and simple dinner recipe that is both healthy and delicious.
Beans for White Chili
The BEANS for white chicken chili used in this recipe are white kidney beans (also known as Cannellini beans). Great Northern beans or or Navy beans are both a bit smaller than the white kidney beans but either can be used in this recipe as well.
- CHICKEN: I use chicken breasts in this recipe but chicken thighs will work perfectly too. If you’d like to use leftover Baked Chicken, add it during the last 5 minutes so it doesn’t overcook.
- VEGGIES: I use my favorite tex-mex inspired veggies, onions, peppers and corn. You can add whatever veggies you like including zucchini.
- SEASONINGS: To boost the flavor in this chicken chili recipe, I add chili powder and cumin. Mild diced chiles add great flavor, if you don’t have them, you can use a little bit extra poblanos or frozen hatch green chiles. To make it spicy, add some diced jalapeno.
How To Make White Chicken Chili
So simple, it practically makes itself! To make this easy white chicken chili:
- Soften the onions and peppers over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except the sour cream.
- Simmer the chili for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream (it is added after cooking to prevent curdling). Serve with your favorite toppings.
To Make White Chicken Chili thicker there are a few options:
- simmer uncovered a bit longer (recommended thickening option if you have time)
- add a few crushed tortilla chips (it will change the flavor slightly)
- blend a portion of the mixture (I try to remove most of chicken pieces in the part I’m blending)
To Cook this in the CrockPot
If you’re wanting to turn this into a slow cooker white chicken chili, it adapts easily.
- Cook the onions and peppers as directed, add the chicken and cook a few minutes longer.
- Add the mixture along with remaining ingredients to the slow cooker (except the sour cream).
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Voila! Dinner is ready when you are.
I love serving this with tortilla chips or even Homemade Garlic Bread. White chicken chili is such a fun recipe to get creative with! Here are my favorite toppings to serve with it:
- Tortilla chips, Cheese, Croutons
- Sour cream, Guacamole, Salsa
- Cilantro, Green onions, Diced jalapenos, or Avocado
To Freeze Leftovers
This Chicken Chili recipe freezes very well! Refrigerate this chili recipe for up to 3-4 days. To store it longer, place leftover chicken chili in freezer bags or a sealed container and freeze up to 3 months.
The BEST Chili Recipes
- The Best Chili Recipe – Truly the best ever!
- Turkey Chili – healthy and hearty
- 15 Bean Slow Cooker Chili – full of beans!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili – hearty and full of chicken
- Instant Pot Chili – Quick and easy!
- Vegetarian Chili – Healthy!
Easy White Chicken Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced or two small
- 2 poblano peppers seeded and diced
- 4 ounces mild green chilis canned, not drained
- ¾ pound chicken breasts diced
- 19 ounces white kidney beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth reduced sodium
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- Dice chicken into ½" cubes.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven. Soften onion and peppers over medium heat until translucent (do not brown).
- Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!