White chicken chili is one of our go-to easy weeknight dinner ideas. Chicken, poblano peppers, mild green chilis, corn, and white kidney beans are slow simmered in a savory chicken base. Stir in some sour cream and top it with tortilla chips and cilantro for the perfect white chili recipe!
Hearty chili recipes are all the craze at our house and even better when they’re as healthy as this skinny chili recipe. From a classic chili recipe to a simple slow cooker chili, we love making this deliciously hearty comfort food.
White Chicken Chili
This creamy white chicken chili recipe is a simple dinner that is ready in just 40 minutes, making it a fairly quick and simple dinner recipe that is both healthy and delicious.
If you’re wanting to turn this into a slow cooker white chicken chili, it adapts super easily. Cook the onions and peppers as directed, add the chicken and cook a few minutes longer. Add the mixture along with remaining ingredients to the slow cooker (except the sour cream). Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Voila! Dinner is ready when you are.
The beans for white chicken chili used in this recipe are white kidney beans (also known as Cannellini beans). Great Northern beans or or Navy beans are both a bit smaller than the white kidney beans but either can be used in this recipe as well.
How To Make White Chicken Chili
So simple, it practically makes itself! To make this easy white chicken chili:
- Dice the chicken into 1/2″ cubes.
- Soften the onions and peppers over medium heat for about 5 minutes in a dutch oven.
- Add all other ingredients except the sour cream. Simmer the chili for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream (it is added after cooking to prevent curdling). Serve with your favorite toppings.
To Make White Chicken Chili thicker simmer uncovered a bit longer. Adding a few crushed tortilla chips will also thicken the white chili (it will change the flavor slightly but still delicious).
The BEST Chili Recipes
- The Best Chili Recipe – Truly the best ever!
- Turkey Chili – healthy and hearty
- Creamy White Chicken Chili (CrockPot) – simple in the slow cooker
- Homemade Chili Powder– spicy and delicious
- 15 Bean Slow Cooker Chili – full of beans!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili – hearty and full of chicken
What To Serve With White Chicken Chili
I love serving this with tortilla chips, soft bread, or even a side salad. It’s a complete meal on its own, but it can be nice to have a crunch factor!
White chicken chili is such a fun recipe to get creative with! Here are my favorite toppings to serve with it:
- Tortilla chips, Cheese, Croutons
- Sour cream, Guacamole, Salsa
- Cilantro, Green onions, Diced jalapenos, or Avocado
Whatever your taste, this creamy white chicken chili is the winner winner chicken chili dinner!
Refrigerate this chili recipe for up to 3-4 days. To store it longer, place leftover chicken chili in freezer bags or a sealed container and freeze up to 3 months.
White Chicken Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced or two small
- 2 poblano peppers seeded and diced
- 4 oz mild green chilis canned, not drained
- 3/4 pound chicken breasts diced
- 19 oz white kidney beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth reduced sodium
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Dice chicken into 1/2" cubes.
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven. Soften onion and peppers over medium heat until translucent (do not brown).
- Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve with your favorite toppings.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)