It’s always a good time for a hearty, flavorful steak sandwich!
Tender and juicy strips of steak are sandwiched between soft garlic butter toasted ciabatta buns and topped with cooked mushrooms and golden onions.
I am so excited to have partnered with Reynolds Wrap® to bring you the perfect grilled steak sandwich recipe.
Grilled Steak Sandwiches!
- Everything in this recipe is cooked on the grill! Easy prep, cooking, and cleanup!
- This steak sandwich recipe makes an impressive looking and delicious bistro-style sandwich that’s a welcome departure from ordinary burgers!
- Build a BYO bar and set out a variety of condiments and toppings! And for anyone who’s watching their calories, simply omit the bread and make a fancy steak salad with the same ingredients.
What Goes on a Steak Sandwich?
Steak – Choose beef strip loins or rib eyes with some marbling to them. This keeps the meat juicy and adds flavor! Skirt steak also makes great steak sandwiches. Season generously with steak seasoning or salt and black pepper.
Bread – Pick sturdy varieties of bread like ciabatta bread, thick slices of garlic bread, pretzel buns, or hoagie rolls. They’ll soak up the juices but still hold everything together!
Veggies – Cooked in foil packets, the onions and mushrooms practically cook themselves! White or red onions will work in this recipe. Choose either white, brown or portobello mushrooms (or any combo of them).
Toppings – Robust steak sandwiches call for robust toppings! Top as you’d like with arugula, Dijon mustard, or a mayonnaise based horseradish sauce, a thick tomato slice, or a few jalapenos for a perfect steak sandwich!
Variations – Slice steak across the grain and build each sandwich with desired condiments and toppings. For a Philly-style sandwich, slice the meat uber-thin, pile on the veggies and Provolone, and serve with store-bought au jus.
How to Make a Steak Sandwich
These steaks are made on the grill. Oven steaks also work well to make steak sandwiches.
- Prep: Assemble mushroom & onion packets in foil; grill until the onions are tender per the recipe below. We find Reynolds Wrap heavy duty foil to hold up the best without tearing for grilled foil packets
- Grill: Grill steaks and veggie foil packets to desired doneness (times and temps below). Grill the garlic buttered bread while the steak rests.
- Assemble Sandwiches: Once rested, slice the steak against the grain and assemble the sandwich.
Our Fave Summer Sandwiches
Did your family love these Grilled Steak Sandwiches? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Did you love this Grilled Steak Sandwich? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Grilled Steak Sandwiches
- 2 strip loin steaks or ribeye steaks, 1″ thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste or steak seasoning if desired
- ¼ cup garlic butter divided
- 4 ciabatta buns or two 6″ slices garlic baguette
- 6 ounces mushrooms ½" slices
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- arugula, dijon mustard, horseradish, provolone cheese optional sandwich additions
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Remove steaks from the fridge and rub with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper or steak seasoning to taste. Set aside on the counter.
- Tear off a 16” sheet of heavy duty foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place onions, mushrooms, 2 tablespoons garlic butter, and herbs in the center of the foil sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring up the long sides of the foil, so the ends meet and double-fold the ends. Double fold the two short ends to seal the packet.
- Place packet on the preheated grill and grill 10-15 minutes on one side. Flip package over and grill an additional 15 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the steaks to the grill (after the initial 15 minutes of cooking the foil packets) and cook 5-6 minutes. Flip steaks and cook an additional 6-8 minutes or until it reaches 140°F or desired doneness. (*see notes).
- Remove steak from the grill and place on a plate. Loosely tent with Reynolds Wrap and let rest 5-7 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is resting, butter the ciabatta rolls with garlic butter. Place butter side down on the grill and grill 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Slice steak across the grain into ½" slices.
- Spread each toasted roll with dijon mustard (if using) and a small handful of arugula. Add sliced steak, mushrooms and onions (and spoon any butter in the packet over the steaks). Serve immediately.
When sealing the foil packet, be sure to leave a little bit of room for heat to circulate inside.
Bring steaks to room temperature before grilling.
For best results, use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the steaks do not overcook. I remove the steaks from the grill a couple of degrees before it reaches the desired temperature. It will continue to cook while it rests. The FDA recommends a minimum temperature of 145°F with a 3-minute rest. Rare: 125°F
Medium Well: 155°F
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!