Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are so simple to make and everyone raves about them! Comforting veggies including potatoes, carrots and onions are topped with a seasoned hamburger patty and grilled or baked to tender perfection.
This recipe reminds me of recipes my mother would bring to the field during fall harvest time. A complete and hearty meal made especially for hungry, hard working harvesting folks was always a welcome sight! This Hobo Dinner recipe delivers exactly that! Not only is this a complete meal in one simple packet, but it is so easy to prepare and even easier to clean up making it the perfect meal to serve to your hungry family!
The type of ground beef you choose can be so important to whatever recipe you are making. In this Hobo Dinner Foil Packets recipe I choose lean ground beef (instead of extra lean). My reasoning is two fold;
1) The little bit of extra fat helps to keep everything moist and tender. The last thing you want is for everything to become dried out!
2) It adds great flavour to all the veggies and the gravy in the packet!
The patty in this recipe is topped with a dollop of creamy mushroom soup creating a delicious gravy to partner with the veggies.
I love to make these as individual foil packets but this recipe can easily be adapted to suit your appetite or your crowd!
- Larger Packets – if you have guests who have larger appetites, include 2 hamburger patties (side by side, not stacked) on top of the veggies.
- Use fresh veggies that are available in your garden or the local market at this time of year! While carrots, potatoes and onions are favorites, I do love fresh green beans, bell peppers, and Brussels sprouts!
- You can substitute ground turkey in place of ground beef! In this case, you may need to add tablespoon of olive oil to the meat patty mixture to help keep it moist.
- The packets can be cooked in the oven or on the grill. If using the grill you can use a second layer of foil to seal your packs and prevent any leaks.
- Parchment paper can be used in place of foil if baking in the oven.
One final note and my favorite thing about this recipe is that it can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until time to bake! Whether you are preparing a harvest dinner for hungry workers in your family, or you simply have a busy week ahead of you, these Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are super convenient, easy and delicious!
Hobo Dinner Foil Packets
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 4 small potatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- condensed mushroom soup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine ground beef and dry soup mix in a bowl. Form into four patties and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all remaining ingredients except mushroom soup. Toss until well mixed.
- Spray a 12″x18″ piece of foil with non-stick spray.
- Place 1/4 of the vegetable mixture in the center of the foil. Top with 1 beef patty. Add 2 tablespoons of condensed mushroom soup on top of each patty.
- Seal foil packets well. Place beef side up on a large baking sheet and bake 35-45 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
More Foil Packs You’ll Love
Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets Fresh summer zucchini, zesty tomato sauce and tender chicken breasts are grilled until perfectly cooked and topped with melty mozzarella cheese.
Foil Pack French Dip Sandwiches French Dip Sandwiches are the perfect make ahead meal for grilling, camping, or even cooking in your oven!
Cabbage and Sausage Foil Packets Tender potatoes, smoky sausage, onion and sweet cabbage seasoned with garlic butter and all cooked in a tidy little packet on the grill!
Low Country Boil Foil Packs Low country boil foil packets have potatoes, corn, sausage and shrimp all tucked into an easy packet.
Pineapple Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets Tender crisp veggies, succulent shrimp all served on a bed of rice for a complete meal ready in minutes
Campfire Apple & Pork Packets Lean tender pork, fresh herbs, sweet potatoes and apples create the most delicious meal all in a little bundle!