Philly Cheesesteaks are the perfect family meal or game day sandwich. They’re dripping with melted cheese, tender strips of savory steak, and a handful of caramelized onions.
This recipe is as good as it gets, hearty, easy to make, and oh, so delicious!
Why We Love This Recipe
While it has simple ingredients, it’s loaded with flavor.
Philly Cheesesteaks are a favorite, and they’re actually quite easy to make.
These come together in just 30 minutes, great for feeding a crowd or a potluck!
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
According to Philadelphia’s official tourism site, the Philly cheesesteak was invented in 1930.
Made with a combination of thinly sliced steak, melted cheese, and fried onions in a hoagie roll this sandwich is irresistible. Thankfully, it can now be found all across the country!
The steak is simply seasoned with salt & pepper.
The best steak for Philly cheesesteak is ribeye as it is so tender and has lots of flavor (although it can be pricey). Round steak or sirloin are great too.
ONIONS Caramelized onions really add to the flavor of this sandwich! Feel free to add sliced green peppers or sauteed mushrooms, whatever you have on hand!
CHEESE We think the best cheese for cheesesteaks is Provolone cheese, while some love Cheez Whiz or American cheese. Use your favorite or whatever you have on hand.
The cheese is melted on the steak right in the pan. Add the toasted roll on top and flip the beef over with a spatula.
BUNS I used hoagie rolls and toast them with garlic butter for extra flavor. Italian, pretzel, brioche, or even hot dogs buns will all work great!
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak
- Cook onions until golden. Set aside.
- Thinly slice, season, and cook the beef (per recipe below). Add onions and melt cheese on top.
- Transfer meat mixture to toasted hoagie rolls and enjoy!
This homemade Philly cheesesteak is one of the best, hearty sandwiches!
To get perfect thinly sliced beef for this recipe, put the steak into the freezer for about 30 minutes before beginning.
Feeding a Crowd? Try Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches for an easy make-ahead meal!
It’s best to store the fixings separately from the hoagie rolls. Keep meat mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze, scoop the mixture in a zippered bag and label it with the date. It should keep about a month in the freezer.
To thaw, refresh the flavors with a few dashes of salt and pepper and heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Hearty Beef Sandwiches
- French Dip Sandwich – deliciously messy!
- BBQ Beef Sandwiches – easy slow cooker recipe
- Reuben Sandwich – ready in 15 mins!
- Meatball Sub – great for a crowd
- Italian Beef Sandwiches – made in the crockpot!
Did you love these Philly Cheesesteaks? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 ribeye steak or round steak or sirloin
- ½ large white onion or 1 small white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons garlic butter
- 3 ounces provolone cheese or American cheese
- Place steak in the freezer for 30-60 minutes.
- While steak is freezing, add onions and butter to a pan and cook on low heat until golden stirring occasionally. You want the onions to soften and turn golden brown, use low and slow heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove beef from the freezer and slice as thinly as possible.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat. Cut hoagie rolls in half (not all of the way through) and butter with garlic butter. Grill rolls on the griddle, butter side down, or broil until golden. Set aside.
- Turn the heat on the griddle/skillet up to high.
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the hot pan and add beef. Stir until browned, this should only take a couple of minutes. Turn heat down to low, add onions and stir to combine.
- Top beef in the pan with cheese slices and leave about 1 minute or until cheese begins to melt. Place rolls over top of the cheese and using a large spatula, transfer beef to rolls.
2 small green bell peppers and/or sliced mushrooms can be added to the onions once they're softened.