In a long list of condiments, horseradish sauce should definitely be at the top!
Horseradish sauce is super dleish and might just become the new ketchup! After all, what would the holiday prime rib be without a side of spicy horseradish sauce? It just brings out the flavor of so many things!
A Spicy Favorite
Horseradish is a root vegetable with a spicy flavor and a pungent aroma. Wasabi is a variation of horseradish and is made nearly the same way.
It’s a bold complement to mild-flavored meats and seafood (and an ingredient in cocktail sauce).
Now you can make your own horseradish sauce and have it as creamy or as spicy as you like it (without all of the questionable ingredients)!
What’s in Horseradish Sauce?
HORSERADISH This recipe is made super easy by using jarred horseradish. But if you have horseradish growing in your garden, by all means use it for this easy “horsey sauce!”
CREAMY BASE This recipe for horseradish sauce has sour cream and mayonnaise along with the other seasonings. For a brighter and more sour flavor (which is great for salmon), switch out the mayonnaise for buttermilk in the recipe.
OTHER TASTY ADDITIONS We also like to add dijon mustard sometimes, for an excellent sandwich or burger spread and as a dipper for pretzel bites, breadsticks, and even bagel chips. Chipotle peppers make a super spicy and tasty addition to horsey sauce as well!
To Make Horseradish Sauce mix all ingredients and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
What to Serve Horseradish Sauce With
As a condiment, horseradish has a unique flavor all its own and pairs perfectly with hearty protein dishes!
- Beef: Delicious with ribeye steaks or Philly steak sandwiches. Or pile it on top of shredded beef for the best sandwich ever!
- Pork: Try it with this tasty balsamic pork loin, grilled pork chops, or pulled pork with zesty slaw.
- Fish: Horseradish sauce would be amazing with salmon croquettes, grilled salmon, or even on easy fish tacos or shrimp tacos!
- Potatoes: It’s a good topping on baked potatoes or a perfect spicy dip for baked french fries!
Did you make this homemade Horseradish Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with beef, steaks or even fries for dipping.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I’m looking for a nice dipping sauce for Sausage Balls. Would this work?
This would be delicious with sausage balls Sharon! Enjoy!