Spaghetti Squash is literally one of my favorite veggies year round. It is delicious, filling and it makes a great low carb substitute for to serve with Crockpot Meatballs or in soups!
This light and delicious veggie is great cooked in the microwave while your Pasta Sauce is simmering on the stove top! Once you cook spaghetti squash, add a little bit of butter or olive oil and salt & pepper for a deliciously simple side.
You Have To Try This
If you have never tried spaghetti squash, let me tell you, you are missing out! I can assure you it’s easy to make! In fact, cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave is so easy that once you try it, it will be a staple on your menu!
Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave is the best method for a more subtle and delicate flavor as it doesn’t get the sweet caramelization that oven baked spaghetti squash has.
Easiest Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Start by cutting your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. It’s a very hard squash and it resists the blade of the sharpest knife so I often ask at the grocery store and most of the time they’ll cut it in half for me.
If you can’t get them to cut it at the grocer, poke it with a fork a few times then microwave for 3-4 minutes before cutting. This will soften the skin a bit to make cutting it easier. Do not try to cook a whole squash all of the way in the microwave, steam build up can cause it to burst open.
- Use a large knife and cut through the tough skin (this is the hardest part of prepping this veggie) slicing the spaghetti squash tip to tip lengthwise.
- Scrape out the seeds and stringy bits.
- Discard the seeds (or cook and eat the seeds as you would roasted pumpkin seeds).
Best Way To Cook Spaghetti Squash
One of the things I love about spaghetti squash is that you can cook in the microwave in under 10 minutes.
One of the biggest keys to getting microwaved spaghetti squash right is the amount of water you add. Adding a little bit of water when microwaving helps to steam it. If you add too much water, your squash will be mushy and your “spaghetti” strands will be really short.
If you are using spaghetti squash as a low carb pasta alternative, be sure to run your fork the same way as the strands to make the best ‘noodles’.
What Does Spaghetti Squash Taste Like?
While it might resemble pasta, it does not taste the same! When you cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, it has a firm yet tender texture to it, and a very mild sweet flavor (not a rich sweet flavor like a winter squash).
Give it a try, it’s actually really delicious just lightly seasoned or topped with your favorite pasta sauce!
The number of servings from each half of squash will vary depending on how it is served. For a side dish we get about 2 servings per half squash but if we are eating it as a main dish, we account for 1/2 squash per person. If your squash is really large, you may find 1/2 squash can feed two people.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pierce spaghetti squash with a fork about 8 times. Place in the microwave 3-4 minutes (do not cook longer than 5 minutes whole).
- Remove the squash from the microwave and slice from top to bottom lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove seeds and pulp and discard.
- Place 1/4 cup water in the bottom of a small casserole dish. Add squash cut side down. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave 6-10 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced through the skin with a fork.
- Remove from microwave, carefully remove plastic wrap (hot steam will escape so use caution).
- Gently run a fork from top to bottom creating strands of spaghetti squash. Season with butter, salt and pepper.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)