This is one of the easiest ways to make this sweet winter squash.
An Easier Way to Cook Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is hard to peel and cut when it’s raw so we skip that step in this recipe and cook it in halves. If your squash is too hard to cut in half, poke it with a fork and microwave it for 3-4 minutes first (I do the same with spaghetti squash if it’s too hard to cut).
- Make sure your squash is small enough to fit into your air fryer, if not it can be cut into quarters.
- Season with cinnamon and salt or even just salt & pepper.
- Adding a touch of brown sugar will add sweetness and help with caramelization.
How to Make Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
- Cut butternut squash in half vertically and scoop out the seeds and pulp.
- Brush the cut halves with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon then salt and pepper (per the recipe below). Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Cook, cut side up in the Air Fryer until tender. Remove and slice into 1” thick pieces (they’ll look like half-moons) or scoop out and mash. Serve with a pat of butter.
Cubed Butternut Squash
If you purchase cubed butternut squash, it can be roasted in the air fryer as well. Toss with seasonings per the recipe below. Turn the air fryer on to 380°F. Cook 10 minutes, shake the basket, and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until tender.
Ways to Enjoy This Recipe
Use this squash for any recipe that requires roasted butternut squash.
- Serve it right out of the air fryer alongside baked pork chops.
- Blend it with broth and add a splash of cream to make soup!
- It’s perfect added to salads (especially our fave winter salad).
- Toss it with cooked grains (like farro) for a great side or salad.
Savory Squash Dishes
- Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash – low carb meal
- Butternut Squash Risotto – made from scratch
- Roasted Patty Pan Squash – ready in under 30 minutes
- Summer Squash Rice – so colorful and fresh
- Butternut Squash Soup – 5-star favorite
Did you make this Air Fryer Butternut Squash? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 small butternut squash (approx 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and pulp.
- Brush squash with olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and season with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Place in the air fryer, cut side up and cook at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Slice or mash and top with butter if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)