This Caesar Salad is crisp and delicious with a rich parmesan garlic dressing and lots of fresh lemon.
Romaine is the perfect lettuce for this recipe and then we add in crunchy croutons and fresh parmesan cheese for one of the best classic salad staples! Serve with everything from lasagna to grilled shrimp.
Classic Salad Recipe
Did you know that Caesar salad originated in Mexico? It is one of those dishes that everyone loves and I can tell you without a doubt, this is the BEST recipe I’ve ever had!
The dressing is blended until creamy and has so much flavor. Toss with crisp romaine, and croutons (and sometimes I sneak in bacon bits too) for the perfect side for any meal!
Caesar Salad Ingredients
A classic caesar salad recipe has a few basic components to it.
Caesar salad dressing is creamy, rich, and tangy. It usually has an acidic component such as lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese, and anchovies in it.
To Anchovy or Not to Anchovy
I personally don’t love a really fishy taste but truly think this dressing needs anchovy. It’s salty and briny and with the right amount the salad doesn’t taste fishy. They add so much flavor.
That being said, if you literally can’t tolerate anchovy, skip them and add extra capers for a similar briny salty flavor.
Romaine lettuce has a darker color than iceberg lettuce and is slightly more bitter yet very flavorful. This makes it perfect for a caesar salad!
Homemade Croutons are usually made by baking or quick frying your bread pieces in oil or butter on high for a short amount of time. They add an amazing crunch to your caesar salad.
A very fragrant and rich cheese, parmesan cheese pairs perfectly with the tanginess from caesar salad dressing.
If you have leftover anchovies, place them in a small sandwich bag. They can be used directly from the freezer next time you make dressing!
How to Make Caesar Salad
Caesar salad is as simple as tossing everything together in a large salad bowl when the rest of your dinner is almost ready!
- Combine all dressing ingredients (per recipe below).
- Chop lettuce and top with croutons, parmesan and dressing.
Top with grilled chicken or serve immediately as a side with any meal!
Tips & Tricks
Caesar salad is an easy summer staple but with these few tips, you can create the perfect salad every time.
- Ingredients (including the egg) should be at room temperature before making the dressing.
- Drizzle the oil SLOWLY. The slower you drizzle, the thicker the dressing will be.
- Use fresh lemon juice and fresh garlic for best results.
- To save time, prep the dressing in advance and keep it in the fridge. Homemade caesar dressing will last up to 3 days in your fridge in an airtight container!
- Wash and cut lettuce then wrap in a paper towel. This will ensure it dries correctly without drying out!
- To make in advance, keep your toppings and dressing separately and add everything once you are ready to enjoy it!
Favorite Summer Salads
- Mexican Corn Salad – with cilantro dressing
- Southern Potato Salad – perfect for bbqs
- BLT Salad – fun twist on a classic
- Easy Arugula Salad – 3 ingredient dressing
- Cobb Salad – crispy & crunchy
Did you enjoy this Caesar Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 cup croutons
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 10 small capers
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 anchovy filets
- fresh black pepper
- ½ cup light olive oil or canola oil
- ¼ cup parmesan
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, capers, raw egg, anchovy filets and pepper in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. With blender on low speed, drizzle in olive oil in a thin slow stream (this should take a few minutes).
- Add ¼ cup parmesan cheese and pulse to combine. Refrigerate until using.
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, croutons and parmesan cheese. Top with dressing as desired and toss to combine.