Forget restaurants or take out, this is the best nachos recipe and you can make it right at home!
Everyone loves a huge pile of tortilla chips topped with zesty beef and of course heaps of cheese. Add in your favorite toppings (check out our favorites below) and serve with sour cream and salsa.
Our Fave Baked Nachos
We totally love our version of nachos supreme because of all the meaty, cheesy, crunchy ingredients that restaurant nachos have, but easy to customize at home!
Fresh out of the oven, our nachos recipe will be a family favorite all year round!
Ingredients and Variations
Chips Use your favorite tortilla chips in this recipe but skip the flavored ones (Doritos don’t make great nachos) and skip the thin cantina-style chips. You want thicker chips that can hold all of the cheese and goodies.
Cheese A mixture of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese is super colorful but if you’re looking for quick and easy, try a “Tex Mex” shredded cheese blend!
Toppings Delicious toppings like salsa and sour cream are a must.
The Best Toppings for Nachos
Place small bowls of toppings on the table or counter and let everyone build their own plate of nacho goodness! Here’s our list of fixings that are “nacho supreme” worthy!
How To Make Nachos at Home
Homemade loaded nachos are super easy to make and totally customizable!
- Brown beef, stir in taco seasoning, water, and black beans. Simmer until the water has evaporated.
- Layer chips with cheese, beef, and green onions according to recipe below.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and load ’em up!
PRO TIP: Put nachos under the broiler for a few minutes to get the cheese bubbly and extra melty!
Nachos are best made fresh when the tortilla chips are fresh and crunchy! If you have lots leftover, there are a couple of options:
- Option 1: Refrigerate. Bake on a pan at 400°F until hot, about 7 minutes. The chips themselves won’t crisp up but I still think they taste great.
- Option 2: Discard the chips and save the nacho mixture in a covered container in the refrigerator, about 3 days. Add it to fresh chips and bake like new.
- Other than that they can be added to a Doritos casserole or taco casserole or stirred into tortilla soup!
More Tex-Mex Favorites
Party food calls for more party food! Here’s a list of Mexican themed faves:
- Beef Queso Dip – savory & cheesy
- Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Fresh Pico de Gallo – serve with tortilla chips
- Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Mexican Corn Dip – hot & cheesy
Did you make these Easy Cheesy Nachos? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Cheesy Nachos
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces tortilla chips
- 4 cups cheddar shredded, and/or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions sliced and divided
- toppings as desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet until no pink remains. Drain fat. Stir in taco seasoning, water and black beans. Simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and water evaporates.
- Meanwhile, spread tortilla chips onto a baking sheet. Top with ½ of the cheese, the beef mixture, remaining cheese, and half of the green onions.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and add remaining green onions & desired toppings. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)