That’s right, a Dorito Casserole, made of course with Doritos!
Seasoned ground beef mixed with cheese, salsa, and sour cream is layered with your favorite flavor of Doritos and lots of cheese.
Layers of Doritos create a delicious base for this casserole which is then topped with cheese and baked in the oven until brown and bubbly. Top it with our favorite taco-inspired toppings! This casserole will definitely surprise and please the family at the dinner table.
Favorite Taco Inspired Casserole
- Inspired by the typical taco casserole, this recipe is set apart by the addition of Doritos.
- The filling is SO good I could almost eat it on it’s own with tortilla chips or is the perfect filling to wrap in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.
- Top this dish with your favorite taco toppings.
- This taco casserole with Doritos is so simple and so easy to make, our family loves it!
DORITOS There are so many flavors of Doritos so use your favorite (I usually go for Nacho Cheese)! Try siracha, cool ranch, spicy-sweet chili!
FILLING Zesty seasoned ground beef is mixed with sour cream for tang, cheese, salsa (mild or hot!), and a can of condensed soup. It’s extra creamy and flavorful. Use store-bought salsa or try Homemade Salsa or even Pico de Gallo! We prefer homemade taco seasoning but a packet works just fine too.
Top it all off with lots of cheese before baking and then pile on all of the typical fixings, including shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and sour cream.
How to Make Dorito Casserole
Surprise them at the dinner table with this Dorito casserole.
- Brown ground beef and onion. Simmer with salsa & seasoning (per the recipe below).
- Combine the browned beef with the remaining filling ingredients.
- Layer Doritos, filling and cheese per the recipe instructions.
- Bake until hot & bubbly. Add toppings & serve.
Best Casserole Tips
- For crushing the Doritos, place them in a bag and crush them by hand, but not too small.
- Drain the fat from the ground beef so the casserole is not too runny.
- Buy pre-shredded cheese to make the assembly easier.
- Spray the tin foil with cooking oil so it doesn’t stick to the top layer of cheese.
- Remember to remove this foil for the last 20 minutes. This will help the casserole top layer turns brown and so good.
Cozy & Comforting Casseroles
- Cabbage Roll Casserole – so easy to make
- Cheesy Ham Casserole – kids love this casserole
- Classic Tater Tot Casserole – easy & cheesy
- Ground Beef Casserole – a classic comfort dish
- Cheesy Chicken & Potato Casserole – a crowd fave
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – a one-dish dinner
Did you make this Layered Doritos Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Layered Doritos Casserole
- 1 family size bag Doritos, any flavor 235 g bag (I used Nacho Cheese)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups cheese shredded, divided (Tex Mex or Cheddar)
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook ground beef with onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add salsa, taco seasoning, and ⅓ cup of water. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine beef mixture, sour cream, soup and 1 cup of cheese.
- Slightly crush Doritos (not completely, you don’t want crumbs). Layer 1 ½ cups Doritos in the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish . Top with ½ of the beef mixture. Repeat layers. Finally top with an additional 1 to 1 ½ cups Doritos and remaining cheese.
- Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray and cover casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes covered, remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and olives if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!