A warm cozy bowl of this Cheesy Potato Soup is a recipe for pure comfort!
Potatoes are simmered in broth until tender, smashed, and combined with a rich cheesy sauce. This is a great chilly-weather meal.
Rich, Creamy, and Cheesy
- Savory, creamy, & with three kinds of cheese, this soup is hearty and filling.
- With easy prep, it can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Stir in steamed or leftover veggies (like broccoli, peas, or asparagus).
- Serve cheesy potato soup as a complete meal with a side of biscuits.
DAIRY Butter and garlic cooked with flour will make a quick roux. Milk thins out the sauce, then cream cheese, cheddar, and Gruyere create the cheesy base. Some dry mustard really brings out the flavors in the cheese.
SPUDS Any kind of potatoes are good in soup. Russet potatoes are nice and starchy so they’re our first choice in this recipe. Any potat will work (even hash brown potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes)!
BROTH Cooking potatoes in chicken stock gives them so much flavor. The stock can be from a carton or use some defrosted Homemade Chicken Stock.
VARIATIONS There are so many ways to mix this soup up. Saute some mushrooms to add, or try steamed broccoli. Crumbled bacon or diced leftover ham taste amazing. Diced or shredded chicken can be added. Even the cream cheese can be subbed out for Velveeta. Try heating and serving from a slow cooker or Crock-Pot.
How to Make Cheesy Potato Soup
Just a few easy steps are all it takes to make this tasty recipe:
- Simmer potatoes in broth until tender.
- While potatoes are simmering cook butter and flour. Add milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Whisk in cheese.
- Slightly mash the potatoes and combine them with the cheese mixture. Garnish and enjoy!
What to Serve with Potato Soup
- Caesar Salad or a fresh tossed salad.
- Add in a side of Homemade Garlic Bread or Flaky Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits.
- Try making some Air Fryer Grilled Cheese sandwiches to serve, or go for a tasty Grilled Chicken Sandwich.
Cheesy potato soup can be stored for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Be sure it’s tightly covered in a plastic or glass container.
Dishes that contain cheese or dairy products often don’t look as pretty after freezing. However, freezing can be done, simply store it in freezer bags or containers. Then defrost and whisk thoroughly while reheating on the stovetop. Top with extra cheese or diced green onions, and it will be as good as new!
More Potato Soup Favorites
- Cauliflower Potato Soup
- Quick Potato Corn Chowder
- CrockPot Potato Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
Did your family love this Cheesy Potato Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock not low sodium
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pound baking potatoes peeled cut into 2" pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup Gruyere shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium pot, bring chicken broth and seasonings to a boil and add potatoes. Reduce to a simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Once tender, mash slightly using a hand masher.*
- While potatoes are simmering, melt butter and garlic in a medium saucepan just until fragrant. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add milk a little at a time stirring after each addition until it is smooth. Once all of the milk is added bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in cream cheese and onion powder and whisk until smooth.
- Turn off the heat and add shredded cheese. Stir until melted.
- Combine the smashed potato mixture and the cheese mixture. Add the potato broth to reach desired consistency (I usually use all of it).
- Simmer 1 minute to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and garnish as desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)