How to Make Mashed Potatoes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes deliciously perfect every time!
RePin it to SAVE IT and share it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Mashed potatoes are a staple at every turkey dinner… and the ultimate comfort food! They pair perfectly with steak, chicken and taste delicious topped with gravy or corn! It’s really hard to not LOVE mashed potatoes. But… are yours perfect?
Here are a few secrets to ensure you not only know how to make mashed potatoes but to make sure your spuds are mouth-wateringly perfect and creamy delicious every single time!
Add your own great tips in the comments below!
1. Potatoes: You can’t make perfect mashed potatoes without perfect potatoes. Red potatoes are not the best choice unless you want to make Smashed Potatoes… which are great with steaks! To get a perfectly creamy texture, the best choices are Russet or Yukon Gold (yellow) potatoes due to the high starch content.
2. Give this a try! Don’t peel before boiling, leave those skins on a peel them once they’ve been cooked! Leaving the skins on = less water absorbed! This makes for both better flavor and texture!
3. Add in 1/2 a lemon to your cooking water! This little simple trick will stop the potatoes from breaking up resulting in creamy perfection!
4. Preheat your additions… pop your milk, butter or cream into the microwave for a bit before adding it to your spuds.
5. You can use a typical masher to mash your potatoes but to get the best and fluffiest lump free potatoes, use a ricer… you won’t believe how amazingly creamy your potatoes are!
Now that you know how to make mashed potatoes that are completely irresistible, you’ll want to be sure to make extras for these amazing recipes:
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bombs from Spend With Pennies
- Crispy Mashed Potato Rounds from Fifteen Spatulas
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes from Spend With Pennies
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cups from I Wash You Dry
- Loaded Mashed Potato Egg Rolls from Spend With Pennies
- Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Muffins from Just a Taste
- 5 pounds potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 cups half & half
- 4 tablespoons butter
Dice potatoes into large even chunks.
Boil potatoes, salt, lemon and whole garlic cloves over medium-high 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain very well in a strainer and let sit for a minute or 2.
While draining, place half & half in the pan and warm over medium heat. Using a ricer, rice the potatoes and add to the pan. Stir and serve.
Add potatoes to the half & half and mash using a potato masher.