Summer is the perfect time to fire up the bbq and make juicy grilled chicken sandwiches!
Marinated chicken breasts are grilled to tender perfection and topped with a quick homemade honey mustard sauce and our favorite garden-fresh toppings. This sandwich is a favorite all year long!
Perfect to Make Ahead
Honestly, the best chicken sandwich is one that’s simple to make, tender, juicy, and topped with fresh goodies!
It’s great to prepare ahead of time and toss on the grill for guests (or at the beach). Prep the chicken and add to the marinade in a tightly sealed container and take it along or stash it in the fridge until dinner time.
Add crisp bacon, or make it spicy with your favorite sauce toppings! It’s nearly impossible to mess this one up! We love the lightly toasted sesame bun, and the marinade is to die for, with its delicious combo of zesty and sweet!
Ingredients & Variations
Stick with chicken breasts or use boneless/skinless chicken thighs, for a super juicy chicken sandwich.
This recipe calls for a toasted sesame bun, but feel free to sub it out with any of your favorites like buttery brioche! Or whip up some homemade garlic bread or even jalapeno cheddar bread, and serve it up sandwich-style!
We love the way honey mustard sauce perfectly complements, but the marinade is so versatile that any sauce will pair well with it. Try sriracha, BBQ, homemade mayo, or whatever strikes your fancy!
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Prepping chicken for the grill has never been easier and results in a sandwich that’s going to taste restaurant-worthy! Here’s the basic overview:
- Marinate Chicken
Combine marinade ingredients(per recipe below). Pound chicken to an even thickness and marinate.
When ready to cook, preheat the grill then grill the chicken 5-6 minutes per side and toast the buns (I do this right on the grill too).
- Add toppings and serve!
Tips for Success
- Use a meat mallet and cutting board to pound the chicken to 1/2 inch thickness. The secret to perfectly grilled chicken is even meat, so try to make sure that the entire breast is the same thickness. No meat mallet? No problem, just use the rounded side of a heavy metal spoon!
- When making grilled chicken, be sure not to overcook.
- For baking the chicken rather than grilling, go ahead and use the broiler in the oven. Put chicken 4″ from the heat and broil 5-7 minutes per side (or until it reaches 165°F).
- Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Any longer than that and the meat won’t have the same consistency after cooking since the marinade will start to “cook” the meat.
BBQ Side Dishes
- Fresh Corn Salad – no cooking required
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts – only 4 ingredients
- Potato Salad – 5 star recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Vegetables – a colorful side dish
- Classic Coleslaw Recipe
- Grilled Pineapple – side dish or dessert
Did you make these Grilled Chicken Sandwiches? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts 4 small
- 4 sesame seed buns
- ¼ cup honey mustard sauce* or mayonnaise
- lettuce, tomatoes, onions optional
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper each
- Pound chicken breasts to ½" thickness.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl or freezer bag. Add chicken and toss well to combine. Marinade for 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken on the grill for 5-6 minutes per side until no pink remains and chicken reaches 165°F.
- While chicken is grilling, brush buns with olive oil and place face down on the grill. Lightly toast.
- Spread each bun with honey mustard and add lettuce, tomatoes and onions if desired. Top with chicken and serve.
Do not overcook the chicken, it is pounded to cook evenly and only needs about 10-12 minutes total.
Chicken breasts can be replaced with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Homemade Honey Mustard: Combine ⅓ cup mayonnaise, 1 ½ tablespoons yellow mustard, 1 ½ tablespoons honey & ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!