Salmon Croquettes sound so fancy, but in reality, they are super easy to make!
Big chunks of fresh salmon are combined with breadcrumbs, herbs and seasonings and formed into patties. They can be baked or panfried.
Deliciously crispy on the outside and flavorful on the inside, serve as a starter or as a light meal with a salad.
What are Salmon Croquettes
Croquettes are fried patties (or rolls) that contain breadcrumbs and meat/fish. They are usually fried until crisp on the outside (I also include directions for baking) and make for a great appetizers or a light dish served with a lemon tossed salad.
There is little difference between salmon patties and croquettes although, I personally keep the patties more simplistic.
SALMON: For best results, use fresh flaked salmon meat. Canned salmon will do in a pinch. When making salmon, add a bit extra to your recipe because this is great with leftovers from last nights grilled salmon!
EGGS/BREADCRUMBS: The eggs and breadcrumbs help bind this recipe together (so the croquettes don’t fall apart). You will still need to gently press the patties when forming them. I use panko bread crumbs in this recipe but you can use regular bread crumbs if that’s what you have on hand. If using regular bread crumbs, start with a couple tablespoons less as they’re finer in texture. You can add more as needed.
FLAVORS: Most of the remaining ingredients are added for flavor. You can use whatever you have on hand or your favorite flavors. Fresh herbs are great in this recipe.
How to Make Salmon Croquettes
It is so simple to make these croquette patties!
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients thoroughly (per recipe below). Be gentle so the salmon doesn’t break apart too much.
- Form 9 evenly sized patties and gently press so they hold their shape.
- Bake or panfry per directions below!
How to Cook Salmon Croquettes
To Fry: Fry each croquette both sides until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve.
To Bake: Place croquettes evenly on the baking sheet and bake until browned.
Whether baked or fried these delicious salmon cakes are always delicious!
- Garlic Butter Baked Salmon
- Avocado Salmon Salad – healthy, fresh & tasty!
- Easy Salmon Patties – tender & flakey
- Honey Mustard Salmon – ready in 15 mins!
- Baked Lemon Butter Salmon Pasta
- 2 1/2 cups flaked salmon or 14.75 ounce can pink salmon, bones removed
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon creamy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- In a large bowl add salmon, egg, garlic, panko, chives, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, kosher salt, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Mix to combine and form into 9 patties. I use a slightly heaping 1/4 cup measuring cup to form the patties. Press them well so they do not fall apart.
- Add olive oil to a 12-inch skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook for about 5 minutes per side or until it’s golden brown on both sides.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Bake salmon croquettes 13-15 minutes or until browned.