This Potato Soup is super easy to make, rich and creamy and it’s fully loaded with flavor!
Our fave baked potato toppings are the perfect addition to this soup including bacon and a generous dose of cheddar cheese. The perfect meal!
The Best Potatoes for Soup
Any type of potatoes will work in this recipe. I like to use red potatoes for soup because they are firm but yield a creamier result. Keep a bit of the skin on for that home-style look and flavor! Yukon gold is great here too!
Russet potatoes break down a bit easier but they aren’t quite as smooth as a red or Yukon potato would be. If using russet or baking potatoes, peel the skins first.
Bacon This recipe uses the real deal bacon instead of bacon bits because we also use the yummy bacon fat to cook the onions. So much flavor!
Broth I use chicken broth because I love the flavor, veggie broth works too!
Milk The milk makes it creamy without making it too heavy or rich. Swap out milk for non-dairy if you’d like or even evaporated milk.
Add-Ins Whatever you top your favorite baked potato with would be a great addition to this soup! I add bacon and sharp cheddar.
How to Make Creamy Potato Soup
- Cook bacon, onion, and garlic until fragrant (per recipe below).
- Add broth & potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Use a potato masher to smash some of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add in cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon.
- Cheeses (pretty much anything goes)
- Roasted Jalapenos or peppers
- Cooked sausage, leftover ham
Leftovers heat well on the stove or microwave.
Sadly soups with dairy don’t freeze well as they can change consistency. If you do freeze this soup, freeze before adding the extra sour cream. Reheat slowly over medium-low heat as to not curdle the milk.
More Cozy Creamy Soups
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Easy Homemade Corn Chowder
- Zuppa Toscana
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Creamy Tortellini Soup
Did you love this Creamy Potato Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Potato Soup
- 6 thick slices of bacon chopped
- ½ white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 pounds red potatoes peeled and diced small
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chives minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a soup pot over medium heat until crispy and browned. Strain the bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate. Leave the bacon fat in the pot.
- Add the onions and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. The mixture will be thick.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock and milk until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add in the potatoes and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the potatoes gently cook, stirring occasionally until soft. Ensure the mixture doesn't boil as the milk can burn.
- When the potatoes are soft, use a potato masher to gently mash some of the potatoes to create a creamy consistency.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, sour cream, chives, and the crispy bacon. Taste and season with the desired amount of kosher salt and pepper.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)