Creamy Potato Soup is something we have all grown up with, in one version or another. This version combines red potatoes, with bacon and cheddar cheese to create a belly-warming soup recipe!
This recipe is so easily adapted to add-ins and mix-ins (a great way to clean out the fridge)! From ham and potato soup to an easy potato leek soup or even roasted broccoli, the possibilities are endless.
Potatoes for Soup
Any type of potatoes will work in this recipe.
I like to use red potatoes for soup because they are firm but yield a creamier result. Keep a bit of the skin on for that home-style look and flavor!
If using russet or baking potatoes, peel the skins first.
How to Make Creamy Potato Soup
- Cook bacon, onion and garlic until fragrant (per recipe below).
- Add broth & potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Use a potato masher to smash some of the potatoes to make a creamy soup.
Season with salt and pepper and add in cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon.
What to Serve With Potato Soup
Other Additions to Potato Soup
Why not put out an assortment of things to add to potato soup so everyone can choose what they like? My personal favorite is topping it up like a baked potato!
- Crunchy: Croutons, Crushed tortilla chips.
- Flavor Boost: Jalapenos, diced tomatoes (or sundried), cooked sausage.
- Savory: Ground beef or meatballs, Bratwurst or kielbasa slices, herbs.
Can Potato Soup Be Frozen?
Sadly soups with dairy don’t tend freeze well as they can change consistency. If you do freeze this soup, freeze before adding the extra sour cream. Reheat slowly over medium low heat as to not curdle the milk.
While the flavor will still be great, the texture may change slightly.
Creamy Soups for Cold Days
There is almost nothing better than a belly-warming soup!
Serve with a slice of Homemade Garlic Bread to soak up every last delicious drop!
Creamy Potato Soup
- 6 thick slices of bacon chopped
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 pounds red potatoes peeled and diced small
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chives minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a soup pot add the bacon and cook over medium heat until the bacon is crispy and browned.
- Strain out the bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate. Leave the bacon fat in the pot.
Add the onions and cook just until they start to soften. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. The mixture will be thick in consistency.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and the whole milk until the mixture is smooth and no flour lumps remain.
- Add in the potatoes and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the potatoes gently cook until they are soft. Make sure to keep the mixture stirred and don’t let it boil because it can easily scorch because of the dairy.
- When the potatoes are soft use a potato masher to help break up some of the potatoes to create a creamy and thicker soup.
Stir in the shredded cheese, sour cream, chives, and the crispy bacon. Taste and season with the desired amount of kosher salt and pepper.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)