A Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is perfect when you need to feed a crowd first thing in the morning. Eggs, sausage and hashbrowns are layered in a casserole dish, topped with cheese and baked to a gooey golden brown.
Sausage The sky’s the limit for this recipe. Use cooked (or smoked) sausage of any kind. Swap it out for turkey sausage, ham, bacon or even leftover ground beef from last night’s tacos!
Veggies I add peppers to this casserole but add whatever veggies you have on hand. Mushrooms (cook them first so they don’t get watery), asparagus or even steamed broccoli are great.
This recipe is very forgiving, and you can alter according to your preference or what you have on hand. It will accommodate leftover meats, veggies and cheeses of all kinds. Just chop or shred and toss them into the mix.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole
Frozen hash browns make this breakfast casserole is super easy to whip up.
- Spread thawed shredded hash browns in the bottom of a casserole pan.
- Add in cheese, meat and vegetables.
- Pour egg and milk mixture on top (per recipe below).
To Bake or Make Ahead
Cook it now or refrigerate overnight At this point you can either bake the casserole and serve or you can cover and refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning.
Bake Now Simply pour the egg mixture overtop and bake. Unlike a strata or french toast type recipe, you do not need to wait as there is no bread to soak up the mixture. So just make and bake.
Bake Later Cover the mixture tightly and refrigerate up to 48 hours. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before baking (while preheating the oven).
How Long to Bake
This bakes at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If you’ve let it sit overnight, it may need a few extra minutes if it’s still quite chilled from the fridge.
What About the Leftovers?
Just like egg muffins, leftovers are perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Fridge They’ll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or the oven.
Freezer Can you freeze breakfast casserole? Yes, you sure can! This will last in the freezer up to four months. Wrap individual and store in freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or the oven
Easy Make Ahead Breakfasts
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole – loaded with ingredients!
- Blueberry French Toast Bake – Family favorite
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole – made with crumbled bacon
- Easy Overnight French Toast – great for a crowd
- Denver Egg Casserole – fluffy, cheesy & delicious
- CopyCat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole – just 5 mins prep!
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 20 ounces shredded hash browns thawed
- 1 pound sausage cooked, crumbled and drained
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk 12 ounces, or 1 ⅓ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning or your favorite herbs/spices (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (if baking immediately).
- Brown sausage and drain fat.
- Combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt & pepper, and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Set aside ½ cup cheese for the topping.
- Place remaining ingredients in a 9x13 baking pan. Pour egg mixture over the mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 55-65 minutes or until cooked through.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)