Everyone loves a nice saucy Pasta Bake recipe! This meatball casserole is made with homemade meatballs (or frozen if you’re in a rush), spaghetti and a variety of cheesy toppings all baked into a delicious casserole.
Add a loaf of crusty bread and fresh tossed salad for a perfect meal!
Casseroles involving pasta, like a cheesy baked penne or a spaghetti casserole, are always welcome potluck at work or as the main attraction for any crowd!
- PASTA Spaghetti is my choice here but any long pasta will do. Keep in mind it will bake more in the oven so be sure to cook it al dente (firm to the bite).
- SAUCE Make your own homemade marinara or use store bought to keep this extra quick!
- MEATBALLS This is one place I almost always use homemade. You can prep meatballs ahead of time and freeze them, the flavor is so much better than store bought.
- VEGGIES You can add veggies to the sauce in this reicpe if you’d like! Zucchini, peppers, and mushrooms are great options!
- CHEESE Cheese is added to the spaghetti as well as on top for great flavor! Shred it yourself for best results, pre-shredded has additives to keep it from clumping and it doesn’t melt as well.
How to Make Spaghetti Pasta Bake
Any decent meatball casserole calls for delicious meatballs! If you don’t want to make them by hand, replace them with defrosted/cooked premade meatballs for simplicity!
- Prepare the meatballs. Try spicy Italian sausage meatballs or even turkey meatballs!
- Mix pasta and cheeses (per recipe below) and place in the bottom of a 9×13 dish.
- Top with meatballs and sauce and bake until bubbly and browned.
Serve with a slice of garlic bread to soak up every last drop of that sauce!
TIP: Bake the meatballs right in the 9×13 pan you’ll use for the casserole… one less dish to wash!
What To Serve With Spaghetti And Meatball Pasta Bake
Anything that goes with regular spaghetti and meatballs or baked spaghetti goes with this super tasty pasta bake!
- There definitely has to be bread or breadsticks, right?
- Or try homemade garlic bread recipe because everyone will want to soak up every last drop of pasta sauce!
- Salad always goes great with spaghetti and a pasta bake is no different! Try this easy kale salad with fresh lemon dressing or a Caesar salad.
Easy Pasta Dishes
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Lasagna Roll Ups
- Baked Penne Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Quick and Easy Sausage Pasta
Meatball Pasta Bake
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated, divided
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 28 ounces pasta sauce jarred or homemade
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine all meatball ingredients and form into 1″ balls.
- Place meatballs in a 9x13 dish and bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350°F. Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain well and toss with olive oil.
- Stir together egg, parsley, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese & pepper to taste. Toss with the pasta and place it in the 9x13 dish.
- Top with meatballs and pasta sauce. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining cheeses and continue to bake until cheese is melted and browned, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I put this in a glass 9×13. It was crispy on the bottom. Any suggestions. Wrong pan to use, too hot? It was still very good and will make it again. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
A glass 9×13 should be fine. Did you cook it on the bottom rack of the oven (I place it on the middle rack). Perhaps your oven runs a little bit hotter than mine which could also make it a bit crisp. Hope that helps!
Made this for dinner tonight, so so good! Everyone loved it and had two helpings. Easy to add whatever veggies you like.
Ive made this twice with purchased meatballs and it was very good.
So glad you have enjoyed the recipe Brenda!
Excellent. I added mushrooms and spinach.
Sipped up a tomato sauce with canned tomatoes from the garden
Those sound like wonderful additions Kim! I am glad you enjoyed this casserole!
Can this be made ahead of time and refrigerated? We have made the meatballs and froze them.
Yes, this could be made ahead of time.
Super easy and good!
Do you think 12oz fresh pasta is the same as 12 oz dry pasta?
12oz fresh pasta is closer to about 8oz dry pasta. (1 lb dry pasta = 1.5lb fresh pasta)
This recipe is a quick and delicious for a in the hurry
and quick dinner.
This sounds so yummy! I’m having a holiday party and wanted to know how many people this recipe will serve?
This recipe will serve 6.
HERE YOU SAY SERVES 6 BUT ON THE RECIPE CARD IT SAYS SERVES 8?
Hi Christa, this comment is from 2014. The recipe has been modified since. Hope that helps!
Canned or fresh parmesan?
I used fresh parmesan.
What a great idea – your baked spaghetti and meatball casserole looks absolutely scrumptious. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.
This looks so good, and perfectly kid-friendly. My boys will love it. Pinned!
This is a great casserole with lots of flavor, we would love it! Thank you so much for sharing this special recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a fantastic week!
Thank you for linking up again with us at the #WWDParty and sharing this great recipe. Have a wonderful weekend!
This recipe looks great! I definitely cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.
Yummy! This looks delicious and my kids will love it! Make sure you stop by my Tasty Tuesday hop and link up!
Julia @ Mini Van Dreams
This recipe sounds so good, but I have some questions about its prep. When assembling the casserole part, you say to ‘Stir together egg, parsley, pepper, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese & pepper’. You mention pepper twice but don’t list pepper in the ingredients. Is this black pepper and how much? You also say to use 1/4 cup parmesan cheese in this part, but never mention where to use the remaining 1/4 cup. I would appreciate if you could clarify this so my casserole tastes as good as I am sure yours did.
:) The pepper in the pasta is just to taste. Both remaining cheese are put on top before it is baked. I missed adding the parmesan in there have updated the post. Thank you for letting me know!
Oh, yummy! Thanks for this wonderful, family friendly recipe! I’m sharing this on fb and pinning! Thanks for bringing dinner to THE SCOOP1
This looks delicious!
Yum! How’d this one get by me, lol!
<3 Enjoy Heather! We loved this one!