Velveeta Mac and Cheese is dreamy, creamy and delicious! This easy mac & cheese recipe starts with a homemade cheese sauce. The addition of Velveeta adds some creamy comfort while a couple of handfuls of real cheddar add a deeper cheese flavor.
This macaroni recipe is hearty and heartwarming perfect as a side dish or as a potluck dish when you want to have a crowd pleaser!
Velveeta is one of those foods that take us back to childhood. It has been around since 1918, gracing everything from grilled cheese sandwiches to cheese sauce. It’s added to casserole recipes and used in rotel dip or drizzled over loaded nachos. It’s even been used as fishing bait! No kidding!
How to Make Velveeta Mac and Cheese
This super easy homemade recipe can be baked or made on the stovetop. It can even be assembled in advance and stored in the fridge until it’s time for the oven!
- Cook the first four ingredients in a saucepan. Add milk and whisk gently until smooth.
- Add cubed Velveeta and continue to whisk until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheeses and macaroni.
- Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle with topping. Then bake!
Delicious Mac and Cheese Additions
So many add-ins, what a great way to get extra veggies into the kids or to use up leftovers!
- Meat: bacon bits or ham, ground beef or shredded chicken/turkey
- Veggies: peas, carrots or broccoli, diced or Rotel style tomatoes, black olives or sliced jalapeños
How to Reheat Mac and Cheese
Velveeta Mac and Cheese is super easy to store, freeze, and reheat, too!
- To Store: Scoop mac and cheese into a zippered bag or a container with a tightly fitting lid. Keep refrigerated until ready to reheat.
- To Freeze: Use an airtight container but be sure to label the zippered bag or container with the date. Frozen mac and cheese should keep in the freezer about two months.
- To Reheat: Pop in the microwave or heat up on the stovetop. Add a little bit of milk to loosen it up and don’t forget to refresh the flavors with a dash of salt and pepper!
More Yummy Mac & Cheese Recipes
- Baked Mac and Cheese – most comforting meal ever!
- Jalapeno Mac and Cheese Bites – perfect party appetizer
- Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese – boiled in milk!
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – rich & creamy casserole
- Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich – 2 childhood favorites in one!
- 3 Cheese Cavatappi – so cheesy
Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ pound Velveeta cubed
- 2 cups elbow macaroni measured dry (approx. 8 ounces)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni al dente according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter, flour, mustard powder, and onion powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk a little at a time whisking after each addition. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cubed Velveeta and continue stirring until melted and creamy. Remove from heat and add sharp cheddar. Stir in macaroni.
- Spread macaroni into a 2QT baking dish. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle overtop.
- Bake 20 minutes or until hot and crumbs are golden.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)