Chicken Alfredo is make-ahead friendly and perfect for busy weeknights with this pasta bake recipe.
Made with pasta, a creamy Alfredo sauce, and chicken breasts, this baked pasta dish is perfect for the freezer too!
How to Make Chicken Alfredo
Easy pasta recipes like this Chicken Alfredo Bake may need a bit of prep but in the end, you have a hearty meal in the fridge or freezer and almost no dinner time clean up. This is perfect for weeknights!
Tip: This recipe can be served as a simple pasta if you don’t want to bake it. Simply prepare as directed and skip the cheese on top. Serve the sauce with chicken and long pasta to make fettuccine alfredo.
- Chicken: This recipe calls for cooked, chopped chicken. Use rotisserie chicken, leftover baked chicken breasts or even shred roast chicken. If you don’t have chicken, poached chicken is a great way to prep some quickly!
- Pasta: Cook in boiling, salted water until al dente. Don’t overcook the pasta as it will cook further in the oven! Use any short cut of pasta you like, and white or whole-grain will both work just as well.
- Sauce: This chicken Alfredo recipe includes a homemade sauce and chicken alfredo sauce from scratch is definitely worth the extra time! However, if you’re short on time and need to cut something out, use a store-bought Alfredo sauce and skip this step, with zero guilt!
- Combine: Stir it together and refrigerate, freeze, or bake.
Prep is done and you decide when to serve the Chicken Alfredo!
To Freeze Chicken Alfredo (Meal Prep)
You can prep and bake this dish right away but this Chicken alfredo recipe can be made ahead too. Prep and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days before baking.
If can also be frozen for 3 months.
Tips for freezing:
- Don’t overcook your pasta: As it freezes, thaws, and is baked, the pasta will become softer. If freezing this casserole, undercook the pasta by 1 or 2 minutes.
- Use higher fat dairy: High-fat dairy suffers less from separation after freezing. So opt for whole milk in the sauce instead of low fat.
- Seal well: Cover the chicken Alfredo with plastic wrap and foil as it helps to create a good seal and prevents freezer burn. Or store in an airtight container.
- To bake: For best results, thaw the chicken Alfredo casserole at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator before baking. It can be baked right from frozen, but the pasta can become even softer as it requires a longer bake time from frozen.
The best part of this baked chicken Alfredo recipe is that it is perfect on its own. But you can never go wrong with a slice of homemade garlic bread and a delicious side of caesar salad! Don’t forget to make an easy strawberry shortcake for dessert!
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Crockpot Chicken and Noodles – so easy & so creamy!
- Baked Mac and Cheese – favorite comfort food
- Creamy Baked Tortellini – quick pasta dish
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – belly-warming casserole!
- Baked Ziti – easy weeknight meal!
- Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts – quick and SO easy
- Chicken ala King – 30 minute meal
- Easy Baked Mostaccioli – so cheesy!
- Homemade Chicken Alfredo – ready in just 30 minutes
Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 1 pound chicken cooked & chopped (about 3 breasts)
- 5 cups short pasta about 12 ounces (340 grams), cooked al dente
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a 9x13" baking dish or two 8x8" baking dishes, place chicken and pasta. Set cheese aside for topping.
Make the Alfredo Sauce:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the flour until absorbed, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cream until combined and smooth. Stir in the salt, Italian seasoning, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened and smooth.
- Pour over pasta and chicken in baking dish and top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Follow directions in post above to store for later, or cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 20-30 minutes until hot and bubbly, then broil to brown the cheese if desired. Serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.