Lasagna Roll Ups are a simple twist on a traditional lasagna recipe! Rolled lasagna noodles are filled with a flavorful spinach and ricotta mixture and baked with a quick homemade meat sauce.
Turn a traditional lasagna or a chicken lasagna into a easy roll up following this recipe. Already individually portioned these rolls ups are perfect for a potluck or a family gathering!
What’s in a Lasagna Roll Up?
Lasagna is a classic dish that most of us grew up on and a meal that my whole family loves! Layers of pasta, hearty meat sauce, fresh or frozen spinach, and cheese baked until warm and gooey.
A lasagna roll up is reminiscent of one of our favorite stuffed shells recipes with the spinach and cheese stuffed filling.
This roll ups recipe adds in an amazing homemade meat sauce and of course cheese for a great ooey-gooey dinner that everyone loves!
How to Make Lasagna Roll Ups
This easy lasagna roll up recipe comes together in a few simple steps.
- Beef Mixture: Brown beef mixture, drain, and stir in pasta sauce. Prepare lasagna noodles per package directions.
- Cheese Mixture: Combine remaining ingredients, reserving a portion of cheese for topping.
- Assemble: Top prepared lasagna noodles with cheese mixture and roll jelly style. Layer meat sauce, lasagna rolls, and remaining meat sauce in casserole dish.
- Bake: Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining cheeses. Bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve with a slice of homemade garlic bread and a caesar salad for any easy supper.
Tips for Lasagna Roll Ups
- Cook noodles al dente so they don’t get mushy
- Ricotta can be swapped for cottage cheese
- Make into a freezer meal, prepare as directed and freeze before baking
- For a vegetarian option, replace ground beef with 2 cups of vegetables finely chopped
Lasagna roll ups are perfect as leftovers! Just serve them with some garlic bread and a green salad and they are like new again!
- Freezing: Line dish with foil before freezing, once frozen, remove it from the dish. Wrap it well and use freezer labels to label (freezer labels don’t fall off when they’re frozen). These will last in the freezer for a few months.
- In the Oven, defrost overnight in the fridge and bake as directed below.
- In the Microwave, put in a microwave safe dish and top with a little extra parmesan or shredded mozzarella cheese. Microwave about one or two minutes and serve away!
Favorite Lasagna Inspired Dishes
- Classic Lasagna – Simply the best.
- Taco Lasagna – south-of-the-border twist!
- CrockPot Lasagna Soup – perfect weeknight meal
- Easy Lasagna – just one pot, no boiling required!
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole – budget friendly, & easy to make
- Lazy Crock Pot Lasagna – made with a cheese & spinach ravioli!
Lasagna Roll Ups
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese shredded, divided
- 1 egg
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked and drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain and stir in pasta sauce. Cook and drain lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, spinach, cottage cheese, ½ cup parmesan cheese, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Lay out cooked lasagna noodles and divide ricotta cheese mixture over noodles. Roll jelly roll style.
- Add half of the meat sauce in a 9x13 dish. Place roll ups in dish and top with remaining sauce. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with remaining cheeses. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
How would I adjust recipe to double it into a larger pan?
I would follow the recipe as written and just double the ingredients Cheryl. If you try it I would love to hear how it turns out!
I love your recipes!
I am so glad you are enjoying the recipes Suzy!
I made the lasagna roll ups for dinner today. We had a green salad and garlic toast with the roll up. Delicious,we both enjoyed the meal. I baked the covered roll ups a little longer to make sure they were heated through. I will be making these again, thanks for sharing. ❤
Made this for my family tonight and it was a big hit! Definitely kid approved!! I used pecorino romano cheese, but otherwise kept to the recipe. Thank you for a delicious family-friendly meal- will be having it again in the future!
step 5 seems to be missing some words
Hi Ben, for step 5 we add half of the sauce to the bottom of our baking dish, top with the lasagna roll-ups, and add the remaining sauce on top. Hope that helps!
These look amazing! I’m having trouble understanding the method for freezing. Would you make the dish as normal, sauce and all just like it would go in the oven, and freeze that way? Or just freeze the actual roll ups and once they are thawed out later, add to sauce mixture? Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying these!
To make into a freezer meal, prepare as directed, sauce and all, and freeze just before baking. Hope that clarifies for you Brooke!
Can I make these earlier in the day and put them in the refrigerator to bake later for dinner?
Sure you could Aimee! I’d take them out while the oven is preheating, and they may take a little longer to heat through since they’ll be a bit cooler. Enjoy!
Easy and delicious, thanks for the recipe!
You’re very welcome Mike! So glad you love this lasagna roll ups recipe!
Follow the recipe but added extra mozzarella to the ricotta mixture and the topping. Delicious!!!
Delicious! We didn’t have spinach .but it still tasted great!
I’m having a hard time posting my review on Facebook and Instagram, but it’s wonderful! I will do it many more times! I took pictures that I would like to post as well, but am not successful. But anyway, this recipe is a success! Thanks.
These are so good. I freeze 2 per container, so I get 4 meals. They freeze really well ! I cook them after they have thawed. I’ve made these twice and will make them again ! Thank you !
Thanks for a great recipe. The only change I made was adding some of the meat mixture on top if the noodles before rolling them. Delish
This recipe is outstanding!!! It’ll surely be in our rotation as the hubs and I both loved it. Prep was fast and made enough to freeze for another meal. I did add double the amount of healthy spinach. It was superb. Five stars and thank you for posting this. Yummers.
I am so glad this was a hit with your family Janet!
My tablet died and I was afraid I couldn’t find my FAVORITE tomato soup recipe. Whew! I did. Question about the lasagna roll-ups. Can you freeze them?
You sure can! There is a section about freezing them just above the recipe. Enjoy.
Doubled the recipe. Was great. Had for supper and one lunch and a few appetizers for hungry son before supper. Will definitely make again
So happy to hear this! :)
How big is the package of spinach? Thanks.
The spinach is 10 oz.
Would fresh baby spinach work ok as a substitute in this recipe? How much fresh spinach would I add? Does it need to be cooked prior to adding to the cheese mixture? Thank you.
You can find information about how to substitute fresh spinach for frozen spinach in this post Heather! Enjoy the roll ups!