This sausage pasta recipe is a quick weeknight meal, ready in about 25 minutes.
Italian sausage is browned with onion and simmered in a quick homemade sauce with sweet bell pepper and zesty tomatoes. Stir in some fresh herbs and a sprinkle of cheese for the perfect weeknight meal.
Italian Sausage Pasta
This is definitely a favorite easy pasta recipe in our family!
Hearty and heartwarming, this quick sauce goes from stovetop to tabletop in mere minutes! Don’t forget the cheesy garlic breadsticks, and a side of sautéed brussels sprouts!
Ingredients and Variations
SAUCE Italian sausage, onions, peppers, and tomatoes are the base of this sauce! Toss in a few seasonings and spices and let it simmer until thickened. Perfection!
PASTA Mix in the pasta and serve it hot! This recipe calls for penne, bowties, or rotini, but feel free to make this sausage dish with any of your favorite kinds of pasta.
VARIATIONS One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s a great vehicle for leftovers! So leftover ground beef, turkey, or even cubes of ham can be used in place of the sausage. Nearly any kind of leftover veggies can be added, too.
How to Make Sausage Pasta
- Boil pasta until al dente (a little firm) per recipe below.
- Brown sausage and onion. Add bell pepper and garlic.
- Stir in tomatoes, sauce, paste, and seasonings, simmer.
- Add pasta to sausage mixture, simmer, and serve immediately with parmesan and cheese.
PRO TIP: For a really cheesy dish, top the prepared dish with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and broil 3-5 minutes.
Hearty Pasta Dishes
- Meatball Pasta Bake – just dump & bake
- Cheese Tortellini – with a quick tomato sauce
- Easy Stuffed Manicotti – perfect make-ahead meal
- Baked Penne Casserole – a delicious weeknight meal
- 3 Cheese Cavatappi – with a rich, cheesy sauce
- Farfalle with Creamy Bacon Sauce – ready in 30 minutes
- Cheesy Sausage Pasta – only one pot
Did you make this Easy Sausage Pasta? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Quick and Easy Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage mild or hot
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces medium pasta penne, bowties or rotini
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley and parmesan cheese for serving, optional
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add bell pepper and garlic, cook 2-3 minutes or until pepper begins to soften.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Simmer 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water until al dente (do not overcook). Drain well.
- Add pasta to sausage and simmer 1 minute. Garnish with parsley and parmesan if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
This is absolutely awesome. I used Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage and only used about 6 ounces of rotini because my husband doesn’t like a lot of pasta in dishes. We loved it!! I love all your recipes, as does my husband. So glad I found you!!! Keep ’em coming!!!
So happy to hear that, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it.
I have to admit the photo got me. It reeled me in. It looked so pretty. I just made this and followed the recipe to a T, something I rarely do. It was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!! I will definitely be making this again. I used spicy sausage and it was a good choice.
I have always been really happy with all of Holly’s recipes and don’t tweak them at all as they are always so good. Thanks Holly for another great dish!
I’m so glad you loved this recipe Cherylnn! Thank you so much for your kind words!