Baked Penne Casserole comes together in mere minutes for a quick family meal. Meatballs are combined with penne noodles, pasta sauce and cheese for the perfect weeknight casserole recipe!
Serve this with a side salad and some crusty bread.
Penne is the perfect shaped pasta for this saucy bake! Round, tubular shapes that hold the sauce and the cheese inside as well as on the outside.
How to Make a Penne Pasta Bake
- Bake meatballs in a 9×13 pan according to package instructions (or according to your favorite meatball recipe).
- In a pan, saute onion and garlic until fragrant and stir in reamaining sauce ingredients.
- Add sauce along with cooked penne to the meatballs (in the same pan… less dishes!) and top with cheese. Bake until heated through.
Garnish with a little parsley and serve with a slice of homemade garlic bread for the perfect meal!
- Any medium pasta will work in this recipe. Shells, rotini or even ziti.
Cheesy baked penne pasta makes for perfect leftovers! Simply store leftovers in a container that can be sealed and place in the fridge. Better yet, store leftovers in small freezer containers or plastic bags and grab-and-go for a quick lunch at the desk or a quick bite after school!
To reheat, just put in the microwave. Give it a stir and refresh the flavors with sprinkle of cheese!
More Baked Pasta Faves
- Baked Mac and Cheese – the best you’ll ever try
- Classic Stuffed Shells Recipe – cheese and spinach filled
- Easy Homemade Lasagna – classic recipe
- Chicken Alfredo Bake – creamy and delicious
- Cheesy Ham Casserole – kid pleasing
- Homemade Chicken Spaghetti – perfect for weeknights
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole – made with pantry staples
Cheesy Baked Penne
- 12 ounces penne pasta* cooked al dente
- 1 pound prepared meatballs or recipe below
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 24 ounces marinara sauce or pasta sauce
- 14 ounces diced fire roasted tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place meatballs in a 9x13 pan and bake 20 minutes (or according to recipe or package directions).
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven. Drain fat if there is a lot in the bottom, if there is a little bit you can leave it for flavor.
- Add cooked penne, and remaining ingredients to the 9x13 pan with the meatballs. Stir to combine.
- Top with cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with parsley if desired.
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons parsley