Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells. Jumbo pasta shells filled with a creamy seasoned beef & vegetable mixture and topped with cheese. This is the perfect weeknight meal and fun twist on Taco night!
These Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells were a huge hit with my family and a great way to change up your typical Taco night!
Jumbo pasta shells are filled with a hearty mixture of seasoned ground beef, tomatoes and veggies and topped with salsa & cheese for a delicious taco inspired casserole!
While I used bell peppers and diced tomatoes… you can use whatever veggies you have in the fridge. I’ve made these with everything from corn and zucchini to peppers and tomatoes. We love to eat this dish as is or even put out our favorite taco toppings for everyone to dress it up their own way. Sour cream, avocado and cilantro are our favorites!
This meal can be made ahead of time and frozen. We just remove it from the freezer the night before and refrigerate overnight. By dinner time the next day it’s ready to top with cheese and bake.
Jumbo shells are sold with the pasta and are available in most supermarkets (or online at Amazon). They often come in a box (to keep them from breaking) next to the lasagna. They’re great for filling with any kind of savory filling; we’ve added ricotta cheese and spinach or even our favorite pizza toppings to make Pizza Stuffed Shells. Just boil, fill and bake!
Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 14.5 oz can of (low sodium) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped veggies (red, yellow or green peppers, corn, zucchini… whatever you have on hand)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2 Cups Salsa
- 2 Cups grated cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta shells al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large pan until no pink remains.
- Add in undrained tomatoes, taco seasoning, 3/4 cup of water and veggies. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Fill each pasta shell with about 2-3 tablespoons of the beef mixture. Place into a casserole dish.
You can FREEZE them at this point for a make ahead meal. If frozen, defrost in the fridge overnight and continue with recipe as usual.
- Top with salsa. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)