Bring in the bounty of seasonal herbs and veggies in this Tomato Mozzarella Salad!
Juicy tomatoes, buttery soft mozzarella, and sweet red onions are tossed in a homemade dressing and ready to serve!
Fresh Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Colorful, crunchy, healthy, and delicious!
- Tomato mozzarella salad is a hearty side dish or make it a main by adding grilled chicken or shrimp!
- Choose a variety of tomatoes! Get fresh from the garden Beefsteaks or Romas or a variety of colorful cherry and grape tomatoes that range in color from red to yellow, even orange and purple!
- This make-ahead recipe can be made a day ahead and tossed with the dressing just before serving.
What’s in Tomato Mozzarella Salad?
Reminiscent of a Caprese salad, this is a favorite lunch or side dish next to a steak dinner!
Tomatoes – Diced, fresh tomatoes are the top pick, but any kind or variety (or color!) of tomatoes will work. Make a new salad every time by switching up tomato colors and sizes!
Mozzarella – Fresh mozzarella is very soft and wet with a buttery, creamy flavor. Bocconcini balls (or mozzarella balls) there the best choice in this recipe. If they’re large, cube or half them.
Dressing – All it takes is a handful of pantry ingredients for a simple vinaigrette dressing. Olive oil, balsamic, Dijon, and some seasonings! Drizzle with a little bit of balsamic glaze if you’d like.
You may not need all the dressing. Keep it in a mason jar or cruet for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
How to Make Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
- Slice or chop the tomatoes.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Shake dressing and toss in a salad, using just enough to coat.
- Garnish with fresh leaves of basil or homemade croutons, crostini, or add a side of garlic bread.
- Switch out the mozzarella for shaved parmesan, crumbled feta, or bleu cheese crumbles.
- Sliced avocados, cucumbers, peas, Kalamata olives, and even sliced almonds can be added.
- Add a tablespoon or two of ready-made pesto to the dressing (or use a balsamic vinaigrette if you have one on hand)!
What to Serve with Tomato Mozzarella Salad?
If you plan for leftovers, keep the dressing fresh to keep the lettuce crisp.
Store leftover tomato mozzarella salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Drain and add fresh romaine lettuce, if necessary.
More Summer Salad Recipes
Did you make this Tomato Mozzarella Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- 8 cups romaine lettuce washed and torn
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes or 2 large ripe tomatoes
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 3 tablespoons torn fresh basil leaves optional
- balsamic glaze for drizzling optional
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- If using grape or cherry tomatoes, cut them in half. If using larger tomatoes, cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar. Shake well and set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a large salad bowl, shake dressing again if separated and toss with salad.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!