Homemade Croutons have the perfect flavor, and crunch for almost anything! Use these to add to salads, top soups, or even to snack on.
Croutons are versatile, and the recipe can be changed to fit whatever you’re adding them to. Some of my favorite additions include:
Bread Sourdough, leftover rolls, stale bread; anything goes in this recipe
Seasonings We start with onion and garlic powder, add your favorite herbs!
Butter Nothing is better, butter adds great flavor and helps these croutons crisp perfectly. No butter? No problem, a great olive oil is delish too!
Add-Ins Croutons are perfect for add-ins… lemon zest, fresh herbs, spices. Add whatever you’d like!
How to Make Croutons
To make these delicious crunchy bits:
- Dice the bread into cubes and place in a bowl. You can use any kind of bread here, even leftover french bread or sliced breads will work!
- Toss with melted butter, seasonings and parmesan cheese.
- Bake until golden.
What to Do With Croutons
Dried Croutons will last on the counter for about a week. If you’re keeping these longer, you can freeze homemade croutons. No need to defrost first, they can be added directly to your favorite dishes and salads! You can re-crisp them by putting them in the oven for a few minutes if needed.
Add homemade croutons to:
- Caesar Salad
- Homemade Tomato Soup (Fresh Tomatoes)
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- The Best Tossed Salad
- CrockPot Potato Soup
- BLT Salad
- Easy Italian Salad
Homemade Croutons (with Parmesan)
- 12 cups cubed bread about 12 slices
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bread into ¾" cubes and place in a large bowl (or freezer bag).
- Pour the melted butter evenly over the bread cubes and toss very well with your hands until the bread coated on all sides.
- Toss with seasonings and cheese until the seasonings adhere to the bread.
- Bake approximately 10 minutes and stir. Bake an additional 2-6 minutes or until crisp and lightly golden.
- Serve on top of a salad, soup or in a bowl as a snack!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!