This Easy Crab Cake recipe is not only simple to follow, it makes the most amazing crab cakes. Juicy, full of meaty crab chunks and with beautiful fresh flavors.
These easy crab cakes can be served as a snack or appetizer or even as a main dish with a nice fresh Cucumber Dill Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette!
If you are looking for an easy and delicious recipe to impress your guests, look no further, this Crab Cake Recipe is always a winner.
These crab cakes are so juicy and full of fresh flavors from the lemon zest and cilantro, that the are irresistible. Don’t you hate it when you go to a restaurant, order an expensive plate of crab cakes, to only realize that they probably used more bread crumbs than crab meat?! With this Crab Cakes Recipe, you can be certain that your crab cakes will be bursting with sweet crab flavor and texture.
How to Make Crab Cakes
The best part is that you will see that this is an easy crab cake recipe. First, you just have to make sure you are using high quality crab meat and fresh ingredients. After that, you add all the ingredients to a bowl, stir to combine, and shape the crab cakes, like little crab patties. If you have time, you can refrigerate them before cooking. This will help them maintain their share when cooking. When ready, sear them on each side until golden brown and serve with Tartar Sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.
What is a Crab Cake?
A crab cake is a variety of fishcake that is very popular in the United States, made of crab meat and other ingredients, such as bread crumbs, mayonnaise, eggs, and seasonings.
What is a good sauce for crab cakes?
I love to dip crab cakes in Tartar Sauce! This easy tartar sauce recipe takes just minutes to prep and is perfect for crab cakes but also for any other fish dish you may have!
Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup full fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or Stone Ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the Tartar Sauce, mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl until fully combined. Serve with crab cakes.
What side dishes go with crab cakes?
I personally like to serve them with a simple green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers. Here are a few more suggestions:
- Mashed potatoes
- Baked potatoes
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Potato fries
- Grilled corn on the cob
- Grilled cauliflower
- Steamed green beans
Crab Cake Recipe
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or Stone Ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce more for spicier crab cakes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning optional
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs unflavored
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white ground pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Check the meat for any hard and sharp cartilage, remove and discard them.
- If the crab meat pieces are too large, use your hands to break them up a bit, otherwise the crab cakes won’t hold together well and will fall apart during cooking.
Add mayo, beaten egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and Old Bay seasoning (if using) to a large bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Add the crab meat, bread crumbs, chopped parsley and lemon zest to the bowl. Gently fold mixture together until just combined, being careful not to shred the crab meat any more.
- Shape into 6-8 crab cakes, about ½ cup each and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a large nonstick pan or cast iron pan to medium heat and coat with canola oil. When the oil is hot, place crab cakes in the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Recipes You’ll Love