Roasted Tomatoes are an easy and delicious side dish. Fresh tomatoes are tossed with olive oil, garlic, fresh herbs and a hint of balsamic vinegar.
These oven roasted tomatoes take just minutes to prepare and are the perfect accompaniment alongside Easy Grilled Chicken Breast or a juicy steak dinner.
An Easy Side Dish
Tomatoes are an easy side dish and we love making them shine. They’re healthy, fresh, and full of flavor. From broiled tomatoes, tomato pie to pico de gallo or tomato soup, the possibilities are endless!
Any kind of fresh tomato is great in this recipe, the juicier the better. Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes are also great! The balsamic, olive oil, basil, and parmesan cheese balance perfectly with the sweet tart flavor of the tomatoes.
Roasted tomatoes are the perfect base for tomato sauce, roasted tomato soup, and marinara sauce. They are also delicious tossed with pasta (no other sauce required), on pizza, or just on their own!
How To Roast Tomatoes
Making roasted tomatoes is as simple as cutting and seasoning them. I love to use loads of fresh garlic and herbs but dried herbs work as well!
To make roasted tomatoes:
- Wash and halve the tomatoes
- Toss with remaining ingredients
- Arrange in a single layer in a baking dish or on a baking tray and roast
They’re truly that easy!
How Long To Roast Tomatoes
I’ve seen several recipes that that 40-60 minutes to roast tomatoes but I find by then they’re often mushy and almost turn to tomato sauce. Roasted tomatoes only need about 15-20 minutes, making them a quick side dish!
In this roasted tomatoes recipe I use whichever variety of tomato is juicy and ripe. A large, hearty, or firm tomato (like a Beefsteak) make take a bit longer to cook. A more tender tomato (like campari or cherry tomatoes) may need close to 10-15 minutes. Of course, if you prefer them softer you can cook them longer. Roasted tomatoes will need to cook at different times depending on their size.
How To Roast Cherry Tomatoes
If you’re making roasted cherry tomatoes, you can use the same method. Wash and half them, then toss them with other ingredients and arrange on a baking sheet.
Cherry tomatoes will take a little less time than larger tomatoes ones, so just make sure you watch them carefully!
How To Store Tomatoes
While these don’t freeze well as a side dish (the texture of tomatoes can change) they can be frozen. Chop and freeze and add the frozen tomatoes in place of canned diced tomatoes to all of your favorite recipes.
More Ways to Enjoy Tomatoes
- Fresh Tomato Salad – perfect for summer
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken – so creamy!
- Parmesan Oven Baked Tomatoes – crispy and delicious
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Stuffed Tomatoes
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 2-3 pounds tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil or ½ teaspoon dry basil
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash tomatoes and cut in half (if they're large tomatoes, cut into quarters).
- Toss tomatoes with remaining ingredients.
- Place in a rimmed baking pan or dish. Roast 10-20 minutes or to desired doneness.