Tender pork (or chicken) meatballs are filled with our favorite Asian-inspired flavors and tossed with an easy hoisin glaze.
- This recipe is easy and can be made well ahead of time.
- The glaze for these meatballs is a bit sweet and salty with a touch of heat!
- Use any combination of ground meat (although pork or turkey is our favorite).
- Serve as a yummy appetizer held hot in a Crockpot and let everyone help themselves!
SAUCE: Hoisin sauce is what makes these meatballs so good! This sauce is a Chinese sauce made from fermented soybean paste with a delicious sweet and salty flavor. It is often served with favorites like Moo Shu Chicken or seafood. It adds a wonderful flavor and can be purchased in the grocery store near the stir fry sauces or online. Hoisin is used as the base of this sauce with just a few other ingredients.
MEATBALLS: Pork makes these meatballs juicy and has lots of flavor. This recipe also works with ground turkey or chicken.
FLAVORS: Sesame oil and freshly grated ginger add the best flavor! Add some red pepper flakes, or minced garlic if desired.
How to Make Hoisin Meatballs
- Prepare meatballs, bake per the recipe below.
- Simmer sauce and cool slightly.
- Toss meatballs with sauce, garnish, and serve.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For best results reheat in an air fryer, if you have one. Otherwise, on the stovetop is best, adding a little water to thin out the sauce. Meatballs can be frozen after they are fully cooled. Keep them in zippered bags with the current date labeled on the outside and they will stay fresh and tasty for up to 6 weeks.
Hoisin Glazed Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water or as needed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sriracha hot sauce or to taste
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix just until combined. Roll into 24 meatballs and bake 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and let boil 1-2 minutes. (The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools)
- Once meatballs are cooked, toss with sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)