Summertime and grillin’ are super easy (and delicious) with this recipe for juicy grilled chicken thighs!
Made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, this recipe is a go-to for last-minute get-togethers, make-ahead picnics, and crowd-pleasing potlucks!
The simple marinade coats each piece just right! Most of the ingredients are probably already on hand, so just mix it, marinate it, and make it!
Perfectly Grilled Thighs
This recipe is a favorite because the marinade does all the work adding flavor and making the chicken extra tender. (This marinade is great brushed onto grilled veggies, too)!
It takes just minutes to prep the marinade and then only about 10-15 minutes to grill (of course time for marinating in between too). Easy peasy!
This recipe uses boneless skinless thighs, but bone-in/skin-on thighs will work great too! (If using bone-in chicken, the cook time and method will change, I would suggest following the method in my bbq chicken recipe).
Simple ingredients like vinegar, mustard, and soy sauce make up the base for the marinade.
As long as you have oil, sweetness, acid, and a bit of bold flavor, ingredients can easily be substituted. Switch it up by using ketchup, honey, or even Italian dressing! Make a signature marinade and sauce!
How to Make Chicken Marinade
This marinade comes together in a snap:
- Whisk marinade ingredients in a bowl or shake them up in a zippered bag.
- Add chicken and marinate in the refrigerator up to 4 hours, but at least 30 minutes.
How Long to Grill Chicken Thighs
These thighs are boneless so they cook much quicker than baked chicken thighs.
Grill thighs for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side. It’s best to cook thighs at medium-high heat, making sure to rotate the thighs in and around the “hot spots” on the grill. This creates evenly grilled pieces. Look for a caramelized, golden brown color all around (and a temperature of 165°F).
- Choose chicken pieces that are uniform in size so they will cook evenly on the grill.
- If using chicken breasts in this recipe, pound them to an even thickness so they cook evenly.
- Make grilled veggies or corn for a complete meal without the oven! Even garlic bread can be cooked on the grill!
How to Store Leftovers
- Leftover grilled chicken thighs make a great second meal, even served cold! Boneless thighs can be tucked into a wrap with some salad greens, onions, and tomatoes.
- Or, serve leftover grilled chicken on top of a bed of salad greens with some ranch or bleu cheese dressing.
- Keep grilled chicken thighs in a zippered bag or airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, just microwave for a minute or two and add a little salt and pepper or even homemade BBQ sauce!
Favorites From the Grill
- Grilled Pineapple – side dish or dessert!
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich – with honey mustard sauce
- Ginger Garlic Salmon Marinade – grilled, baked or broiled
- Grilled Lamb Chops – only 10 minutes on the grill
- Grilled Marinated Vegetable Kabobs – full of flavor
Did your family love these Grilled Chicken Thighs? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Grilled Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary slightly crushed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl or a freezer bag. Mix well.
- Add chicken thighs and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Rest 5 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)