Quick & easy to make, Stuffed Pepper Casserole is a dish the whole family will love!
Cheesy and meaty with a zesty flavor from homemade taco seasoning, this casserole has just the right balance of ground beef, peppers, rice, and cheese!
Why We Love This Recipe
Stuffed Peppers are a go-to for us and this great variation has a yummy tex-mex flavor!
This casserole is quick and easy to put together. Prep only takes minutes, and using instant rice means it cooks fast!
Extra ingredients (and veggies) can be added to stretch this dish even further. Corn, black beans or pinto beans, or zucchini (or even extra peppers) are all good choices.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole only uses a handful of ingredients!
MEAT This recipe uses ground beef with Homemade Taco Seasoning. Ground chicken, ground turkey or shredded rotisserie chicken would taste great too!
VEGGIES Fresh bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes are loaded into this casserole. Feel free to add corn, jalapenos or some beans to stretch this dish even further!
RICE Instant rice is the perfect addition to this casserole! Out of instant rice? To use long-grain white rice, cook the rice in broth on the stove according to package directions or use leftover rice. If using cooked rice, do not add broth to the casserole. Try tomato basil rice for a delicious twist!
CHEESE This casserole is topped with cheddar cheese, but any cheese will taste great. Use Tex-Mex or Monterey Jack for an extra kick!
VARIATIONS Want more spice? Add some chili powder or try swapping the tomato paste for homemade enchilada sauce!
How To Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This recipe is every bit as easy as the typical undone stuffed pepper casserole.
- Brown beef and combine all ingredients except cheese in a casserole dish.
- Cover and bake until bubbly (per recipe below).
- Top with cheese and broil!
Once baked, set out an assortment of toppings for a fun taco casserole bar!
Tips for Perfect Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Want a little more sweetness and color? Balance the green pepper with red, yellow and orange!
- The instant rice called for in this recipe is also known as Minute Rice.
- Tomato sauce can be substituted for crushed tomatoes or even salsa if needed.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freezer for up to 4 months!
- Reheat in a 350°F oven with a foil cover until heated through, or in the microwave on a covered plate. If reheating from frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge first.
More Bell Pepper Favorites
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole – hearty & comforting
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers – easy & cheesy
- Easy Pepper Steak – takeout at home
- Sausage and Peppers – Italian classic
- Stuffed Pepper Soup – warm and cozy
- Easy Chicken Fajitas – quick and fresh
Did you love this Stuffed Pepper Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Taco Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 bell peppers any color, diced
- 14 ounces diced tomato with juice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups instant rice (Minute Rice)
- 1 ⅔ cups beef broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add taco seasoning, water, and peppers. Stir to combine and simmer until most of the water has evaporated, about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except cheese in a 9x13 pan. Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Uncover, top with cheese and broil 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Rest 5 minutes before serving.
To use long-grain white rice, cook the rice in broth on the stove according to package directions or use leftover rice. If using cooked rice, do not add broth to the casserole.
To make it spicy, add 1 finely diced jalapeno to the pepper mixture.