Sausage and Peppers is a simple, and flavorful meal that is perfect tucked inside a soft Italian roll and topped with a slice of cheese. To make this into a pasta dish, add tomatoes, slice sausage and serve over pasta (or keep it low carb and serve it over Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles))!
We love making this simple recipe when we need a quick and easy weeknight meal that everyone will love! Use any kind of sausage from mild to spicy based on your preferences!
Italian Sausage recipes are a regular in our rotation (like Italian Sausage Linguine). Add in some peppers, garlic and a splash of white wine for a simple meal loaded with flavor!
How To Cook Italian Sausage
To make this Italian sausage and peppers recipe:
- Poke some holes with a fork in each sausage. (This keeps them from bursting as they cook).
- Brown the sausages over medium heat, cover and simmer.
- Cook onions and peppers with seasonings.
- Add sauce ingredients and stir for a few minutes!
You’ll want to ensure that the Italian sausages are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
More Italian Favorites!
- Italian Wedding Soup – a classic
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Italian Pasta Salad – great for potlucks
- Chicken Parmesan – Reader favorite!
- Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
What To Make With Italian Sausage And Peppers
This dish is super simple and goes will with just about everything. I like to add tomatoes to this recipe to make it a little bit saucy.
Most commonly, we purchase rolls at our local Italian market, spread them with Homemade Garlic Butter and toast them in the oven. Fill each roll with sausage and peppers, top with a slice or two of cheese and broil until the cheese starts to melt.
To serve this recipe over pasta, slice the sausages once cooked (and don’t skip the tomatoes). Toss with cooked pasta and top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and fresh basil to serve!
Italian salad makes a great side dish if you’re hoping to keep things low carb. It’s a healthy and delicious meal!
Leftover Sausage and Peppers
Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. To reheat Italian sausages, cut them in half (to allow steam to escape) and microwave or cook on the stove top until heated through. If using the stove top, I’d suggest cooking the sausages first until almost hot and then adding the peppers at the end to keep them from overcooking.
Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage links
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large bell peppers green, red or orange
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup white wine or beer
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes optional
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Using a small knife, poke a few holes in each sausage. Brown sausages on all sides. Add water, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Remove lid, remove sausages and set aside. Discard any remaining water.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, Italian seasoning and onions to the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes stirring until onions are slightly softened. Add peppers and cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, wine, tomatoes if using and sausage. Cook 3-4 minutes or until peppers are tender and sausages reach 165°F.
- Top with a sprinkle of fresh herbs (basil/parsley) if desired.