This is an awesome recipe for a healthier version of Enchilada sauce! Instead of flour and tomato paste, this sauce uses canned tomatoes and the sauce is simmered to thicken up. I always use the lower sodium tomatoes!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion , Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic , Minced
- 2 Teaspoons each chili powder & cumin and 1 Teaspoon of Oregano
- 1 Large Can of Low Sodium Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Chicken Broth or Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of Finely chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add onions and garlic and stir until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer covered for 15 minutes
- Remove cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, blend using a hand blender until smooth and stir in cilantro.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)