Homemade Healthy Enchilada Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Homemade Healthy Enchilada Sauce
Pin now to save it for later!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
This is an awesome recipe for a healthier version of Enchilada sauce! Instead of flour and tomato paste, this sauce uses canned tomatoes and the sauce is simmered to thicken up. I always use the lower sodium tomatoes!
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion , Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic , Minced
- 2 Teaspoons each chili powder & cumin and 1 Teaspoon of Oregano
- 1 Large Can of Low Sodium Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Chicken Broth or Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons of Finely chopped cilantro
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan.
Add onions and garlic and stir until softened, about 4 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer covered for 15 minutes
Remove cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, blend using a hand blender until smooth and stir in cilantro.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)