Basil & Tomato Rice takes plain ol’ white rice from ordinary to extraordinary in no time at all!
This quick and simple recipe goes perfectly with all kinds of proteins and is jam-packed with flavor!
What is Tomato Rice?
Tomato rice is one of those recipe staples that stands on its own for a meatless meal or as a vegetarian entrée but we most often enjoy it as a side dish.
A simple combination of onions and white rice is cooked in chicken broth with fresh tomatoes of course! Once tender fresh basil and a sprinkle of parm are added before serving.
RICE White rice is used in this recipe, but brown rice, jasmine or basmati will work too. The cooking times might have to be slightly adjusted depending on what type you use!
BROTH Chicken broth is used to cook the rice. Use beef broth or vegetable broth if that’s what you have on hand!
TOMATO Fresh diced tomato is cooked in with the rice so flavors can mix. Any type of tomato will work great!
Optional: For some extra zip and zest, add 1 tablespoon tomato paste along with the broth.
How to Make Tomato Rice
Super easy, this dish comes together in no time!
- Saute onion in oil and add rice, cook until golden brown.
- Add broth, tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let set about 5 minutes. Add cheese & basil and more fresh tomatoes.
Different Cooking Methods
Rice is one of the easiest things to cook in an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or on the stovetop. This recipe can be prepared in any of these ways! Just refer to your manual for instructions for individual appliances.
Tips for Perfect Tomato Rice
- Instant rice seems like the easiest way to make tomato rice, but because it is dehydrated, the kernels will not be as firm. Using uncooked rice might take a bit more time, but it’s less expensive and will stay firmer, plus it tastes way better.
- Rinse uncooked rice, mostly to remove any dirt or debris that might be in the bag, just like with beans. Some cooks think rinsing rice removes starch that keeps it from getting too starchy, but for tomato basil rice and these kinds of recipes, the starch is a good thing for keeping it creamy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, pop in the microwave until heated through!
Delicious Rice Dishes
- Easy Mushroom Rice – ready in 15 minutes
- Cilantro Lime Rice – great with tacos
- Garlic Butter Rice – full of flavor
- Spanish Rice – a one-pot dish
- Mexican Rice – a family favorite
Did you make this Tomato Basil Rice? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Tomato Basil Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ripe tomato diced with juices, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion in olive oil until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook 2-3 minutes or until the rice starts to brown a little bit.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes (with any juices), and garlic. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Remove from heat and rest 5 minutes before removing the lid. Add 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and basil. Mix well.
- Place in a bowl, garnish with remaining parmesan cheese, additional basil and fresh tomatoes if desired.
If using dried basil, add 1 teaspoon along with the broth. Brown rice, jasmine or basmati will work in this recipe but the cooking times will need to be slightly adjusted. Optional: For some extra zip and zest, add 1 tablespoon tomato paste along with the broth.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)