Easy Chicken Fajitas are one of our all time favorite dinners. Tender juicy chicken breasts, fresh crisp peppers and sweet onions tossed in an easy homemade seasoning and piled high in tortillas.
Top these easy fajitas with cheese, sour cream, lettuce and Pico de Gallo!
We love fajitas in our house! Not only are they delicious and healthy, they’re one of my all time favorite Mexican foods!
These Easy Chicken Fajitas are the perfect weeknight meal because they’re on the table in about 20 minutes start to finish! I used a combination of red and yellow peppers and also added in a sliced poblano pepper as well as it was what I had on hand! These are quite forgiving so you can add in whatever you like!
How Do I Season Chicken for Fajitas?
These chicken fajitas are flavored with an easy homemade seasoning. While you can purchase fajita seasoning packets, I find combining my own spices not only adds more flavor but has less salt and additives. In a pinch you could use taco seasoning (but add a little bit of extra ground cumin if you have it on hand).
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajita recipe is a total breeze to make! The chicken is flavorful and juicy while the peppers are perfectly tender crisp! You can have delicious chicken fajitas on the table in just 20 minutes, including prep!
- Mix seasoning blend.
- Cut veggies and chicken.
- Cook chicken in olive oil in a pan, add veggies. (You can make fajitas on the grill if you prefer).
- Fill your tortilla shells with your favorite toppings!
Be sure you don’t overcrowd the pan with your chicken or it won’t brown nicely (I do two smaller batches).
I usually soak the onions in cold water while I prep the rest of the ingredients to take a bit of the “bite” out of them for my kids. This step is optional of course!
We top ours with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, Homemade Salsa and sour cream… but you can get creative with the toppings making it a fun family meal! Olives, shredded veggies such as carrots or cabbage, guacamole or avocados, they all making amazing toppings!
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lime
- 3 bell peppers , red, yellow, green or orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- Cut onion into slivers & slice peppers.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of 1/2 lime, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, pepper, cumin and salt. Cut chicken into strips and toss with the spice mixture.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Add 1/2 of the chicken and cook until just cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Set chicken aside and add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Drain onions well and cook 2 minutes. Add in sliced peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes or just until hot. Add chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Squeeze additional lime overtop and serve over tortillas.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Are Fajitas Healthy?
Yes…. as written, these Chicken Fajitas are healthy. The fajita filling in this recipe is definitely healthy, lean chicken, fresh peppers and homemade seasonings with a dash of olive oil. I personally love to serve these with corn tortillas since I love the flavor.
These fit perfectly into the 21 Day Fix plan as well if you follow it (just be sure to use corn tortillas and use 1 teaspoon less oil) and they’re perfect if you’re a Weight Watcher!! 21 Day Fix count is 1 red (chicken), 1 green (peppers & onion) and 1 yellow (2 small corn tortillas). This excludes any toppings you may add (cheese, sour cream etc.)
If you’d like to have these as a healthier option, be mindful of your toppings. Consider using low fat cheese and even use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Load them up with crisp lettuce and juicy ripe tomatoes too!
A few more recipes you’ll love…
Amber at Dessert Now Dinner Later has a wonderful recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas (I can’t wait to give them a try)!