Easy Chicken Fajitas are one of our all-time favorite dinners. Tender juicy chicken breasts, fresh crisp peppers, and sweet onions tossed in an easy homemade seasoning and piled high in tortillas.
We love fajitas at our house! Not only are they delicious and healthy, but they’re also one of my all-time favorite Mexican foods!
These Easy Chicken Fajitas are the perfect weeknight meal because they’re on the table in about 20 minutes from start to finish! I used a combination of red and yellow peppers and have also added in a sliced poblano pepper if I have it on hand!
A Healthy Meal
Are Fajitas Healthy? Yes, as written, these Chicken Fajitas are healthy. The fajita filling in this recipe is definitely healthy, lean chicken, fresh peppers and homemade seasonings with a dash of olive oil. I personally love to serve these with corn tortillas since I love the flavor.
I often top them with low-fat cheese and even Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Load them up with crisp lettuce and juicy ripe tomatoes too and fresh jalapenos!
How Do I Season Chicken for Fajitas?
These chicken fajitas are flavored with an easy homemade fajita seasoning. While you can purchase fajita seasoning packets, I find combining my own spices not only adds more flavor but has less salt and additives.
In a pinch, you could use taco seasoning (but add a little bit of extra ground cumin if you have it on hand).
Marinade: I add a bit of olive oil and some lime juice to create a chicken fajita marinade. Starting with the chicken, I allow it to sit in the marinade while I prep the rest of the ingredients.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajita recipe is a total breeze to make! The chicken is flavorful and juicy while the peppers are perfectly tender-crisp! You can have delicious chicken fajitas on the table in just 20 minutes, including prep!
- Mix seasoning blend.
- Cut veggies and chicken.
- Cook chicken in olive oil in a pan, add veggies. (You can make fajitas on the grill if you prefer).
- Fill your tortilla shells with your favorite toppings!
Be sure you don’t overcrowd the pan with your chicken or it won’t brown nicely (I do two smaller batches).
I usually soak the onions in cold water while I prep the rest of the ingredients to take a bit of the “bite” out of them for my kids. This step is optional of course!
My Favorite Fajita Toppings
We top ours with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, Homemade Salsa and sour cream… but you can get creative with the toppings making it a fun family meal! Olives, shredded veggies such as carrots or cabbage, guacamole or avocados, they all making amazing toppings!
More Delicious Fajita Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas – set it and forget it!
- Oven Fajitas – super easy
- Grilled Steak Fajitas – beef is delicious!
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas – one pan
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas – great for summer
Easy Chicken Fajitas
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lime
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow, green or orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin optional
- salt to taste
- Cut onion into slivers & slice peppers.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice of ½ lime, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, pepper, cumin and salt. Cut chicken into strips and toss with the spice mixture.
- Preheat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Add ½ of the chicken and cook until just cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Set chicken aside and add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Drain onions well (if soaking per note below) and cook 2 minutes. Add in sliced peppers and cook an additional 2 minutes or just until hot. Add chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Squeeze additional lime overtop and serve over tortillas.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.