A Stuffed Pepper Casserole is an easy, one pot casserole that could be called ‘unstuffed pepper casserole’. This recipe is incorporates the ingredients from classic stuffed peppers like rice, ground beef and tomato sauce all in one skillet for a great weeknight meal.
Like a hearty stuffed pepper soup, this recipe is an easy family favorite!
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This colorful entree is made with an combination of red, yellow, and green bell peppers and is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic and drain the fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil (see recipe below).
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender.
Once the casserole is finished, top with cheese, replace the lid and let the cheese melt. Serve!
Variations for This Casserole
- Low Carb: Swap out the rice for cauliflower rice to create a low-carb entrée.
- Meat: Swap out the ground beef for ground chicken, turkey or even ground sausage.
- Seasonings: This recipe uses Italian seasoning but you can swap it out for your favorites or even skip it and add some taco seasoning.
- Peppers: Use any combination of colors in this recipe.
- Veggies: Add your favorite veggies to this recipe including diced zucchini and chopped mushrooms.
What to Serve With Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Like most casserole recipes, this one is freezer friendly!
- To freeze, make sure it is fully cooled before you put it in zippered bags or an airtight container. Be sure to date your container.
- To thaw, place in the fridge overnight or on the countertop for about two hours.
- To reheat, place in the microwave or on the stove top and refresh the flavors with a couple new dashes of salt and pepper! Enjoy!
Easy & Filling Casserole Dishes
- Cheesy Ham Casserole– great for a crowd
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – belly-warming!
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – a show-stopper!
- Easy Tuna Casserole – comfort food at its finest
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – easy, cheesy, and delicious!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-2 ¼ cups bell pepper red, green and/or yellow, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14 ½ ounces tomatoes diced, undrained
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown beef with onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain excess fat.
- Add peppers, seasonings, beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, rice and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender. (Add more beef broth if needed).
- Once rice is tender, top with cheese and cover with a lid until melted. Optionally, broil 2-3 minutes.