A Stuffed Pepper Casserole is an easy, one pot casserole that could be called ‘unstuffed pepper casserole’. This recipe is incorporates the ingredients from classic stuffed peppers like rice, ground beef and tomato sauce all in one skillet for a great weeknight meal.
Like a hearty stuffed pepper soup, this recipe is an easy family favorite!
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This colorful entree is made with an combination of red, yellow, and green bell peppers and is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic and drain the fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil (see recipe below).
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender.
Once the casserole is finished, top with cheese, replace the lid and let the cheese melt. Serve!
Variations for This Casserole
- Low Carb: Swap out the rice for cauliflower rice to create a low-carb entrée.
- Meat: Swap out the ground beef for ground chicken, turkey or even ground sausage.
- Seasonings: This recipe uses Italian seasoning but you can swap it out for your favorites or even skip it and add some taco seasoning.
- Peppers: Use any combination of colors in this recipe.
- Veggies: Add your favorite veggies to this recipe including diced zucchini and chopped mushrooms.
What to Serve With Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This amazing dish is perfect just the way it is, with the protein, veggies, and starch all in one dish! Serve this with dinner rolls or garlic bread!
Add in a cup or two of tossed greens and with a light vinaigrette or a caesar salad.
Like most casserole recipes, this one is freezer friendly!
- To freeze, make sure it is fully cooled before you put it in zippered bags or an airtight container. Be sure to date your container.
- To thaw, place in the fridge overnight or on the countertop for about two hours.
- To reheat, place in the microwave or on the stove top and refresh the flavors with a couple new dashes of salt and pepper! Enjoy!
Easy & Filling Casserole Dishes
- Cheesy Ham Casserole– great for a crowd
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – belly-warming!
- Homemade Mac and Cheese Casserole – a show-stopper!
- Easy Tuna Casserole – comfort food at its finest
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – easy, cheesy, and delicious!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2-2 ¼ cups bell pepper red, green and/or yellow, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14 ½ ounces tomatoes diced, undrained
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown beef with onion and garlic until no pink remains. Drain excess fat.
- Add peppers, seasonings, beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, rice and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender. (Add more beef broth if needed).
- Once rice is tender, top with cheese and cover with a lid until melted. Optionally, broil 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
You can’t use jasmine rice? I never buy basmati rice
I’ve only tried it as written but Jasmine rice should work just fine. You may need to adjust cook time slightly.
Made this for dinner & it was absolutely delicious! My very picky husband loved it, as did I! The only change I made was to add 5 cloves of minced garlic because we love garlic so much! This recipe was fast, easy, and so very tasty! My husband wants me to make it more often, which is high praise coming from him!
I tried this recipe for the first time tonight, January 26th, 2023. I followed the recipe precisely and found it a good, simple one-pan meal. I would like to try it with a Monterey Jack with jalapenos cheese over top, instead of mozzarella, only for flavour and some heat. My family enjoyed this meal very much and it will become part of my rotation.
Too much Italian seasoning but good otherwise.
This recipe is fantastic!!!!
The only change we made is we added more Italian seasoning, extra oregon, and a bit of thyme.
Have more beef broth handy, like the recipe says….we added much more, bc the rice wasn’t done.
Oh, and when it was all cooked, we dumped it into a 13×9″ pan, and spread 2 cups of cheese over the entire casserole. We stuck it in the oven until the cheese melted.
Everyone wanted seconds and raved about the meal!!
You are welcome Sylvia, I love this casserole with cheese!
Made this recipe exactly as directed and it turned out amazing. Will be adding g this to my rotation. Easy recipe using ingredients I have on hand.
How do you have to adjust the recipe if you want to use cauliflower rice? Thanks.
Hi Callie, you should be able to substitute cauliflower rice into this recipe with adjustments. We would love to hear how it turns out for you!
How long in the instant pot? Im thinking 30 minutes?
Hi Tom, I have never made this recipe in the Instant Pot so I can’t say for sure. If making it in the Instant Pot I would use the saute function to still brown the ground beef then add the remaining ingredients following the recipe. I would then pressure cook for about 10 minutes instead of simmering in Step 3. I would love to hear how it turns out for you!
can i use minute rice?
Hi Penny, we have never tried minute rice in this recipe but I don’t think it would work the best. I think it would cook too quickly for this casserole. But if you try it, we would love to hear how it turns out.
Made this tonight my whole family loved it! Was amazing. Made exactly as the recipe directs.
Super tasty and easy to make. Made it per the recipe. Definite addition to the menu. Quick and ingredients are typically on hand.
5 star! My family absolutely loved it! Thank you!!
*added a little corn on my daughters request*
That sounds like a delicious addition!
My whole family loved it! Thank you!!
*i added a little bit of corn on my daughters request*
Omg, I could eat the entire pot! I used cauliflower rice instead and actually forgot to add the tomato paste, but it was still delicious. Weekly rotation worthy!!
Enjoy the whole pot, Becky! You secret is safe with us :) But it does make for delicious leftovers too!