This Taco Cheese Ball recipe could not be easier to make! It is loaded with Mexican cheese and taco seasoning for a simple and addictive appetizer recipe that’s perfect for parties, Christmas, and beyond!
This cream cheese ball recipe builds on flavors from classic tacos to kick up the flavor and have everyone coming back for more!
What Is a Cheese Ball?
A cheese ball is a simple appetizer recipe made with a base of cream cheese and shredded cheese. Seasoning is added to flavor the cheese. Sometimes other things like peppers or pineapple or bacon are added to the mix. And finally, the ball is rolled in a crust.
From a sweet gooey pecan pie cheese ball to a spicy jalapeno bacon cheese ball, these are always a hit at parties! No one can resist that creamy flavored cheese spread atop a crunchy cracker. It’s hard to pick the best cheese ball recipe, but they’re even better when they are made with just 5 ingredients like this Taco Cheese Ball recipe!
What To Roll It In?
- Nuts: This is definitely most people’s preferred coating. It helps add crunch to the dish
- Herbs: If you’re trying to keep it simple but really want to amp up that freshness factor, try rolling the ball in minced herbs. Herbs can be added to any other topping in this recipe. Try adding some finely diced jalapenos for some extra zip too! Both herbs and jalapenos will add a fresh color to a cheese ball.
- Crumbs: Now, this topping can be a little tricky since crumbs can get moist and or stale. So if you decide to go this route, I would recommend rolling your ball in the crumbs just before serving. Crushed Tortilla chips or Doritos would be a great option for this recipe!
- Bacon: Ah, the king of flavor! Crispy, finely diced bacon can make for a truly delicious crust on a cheese ball!
How To Make A Cheese Ball
Cheese balls are one of the easiest appetizer recipes to make because they don’t require any cooking. And this recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients! However, you will want to chill it for a few hours (or overnight) so you’ll still need to plan ahead!
- Mix together the first 3 ingredients (see recipe below) with a mixer. It’s important to beat the cheese with a mixer as this will help with the texture in the final dish.
- Chill for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours before forming into a ball and rolling in your desired topping.
For this cheese ball recipe with cream cheese, I love a blend of pecans and cilantro. It’s the perfect balance to the cheesy taco flavors.
Cheese ball bites, basically mini cheese balls, are fun too. Use a melon scoop or small cookie scoop to make even sized servings, roll into balls and roll in the toppings. Add a pretzel stick in the top for serving, or serve atop a tortilla chip or cracker!
What To Serve A Cheese Ball With
There are so many delicious dippers to serve with this easy cheese ball recipe, but here as some of our favorites!
- Tortilla Chips – This might not be the usual choice with every flavor cheese ball, but I think it’s the best way to serve up this taco flavored version!
- Crackers – The standard go-to for serving.
- Veggies – Another great option, especially if you’re looking to keep things gluten-free, keto, or just have more options. Try serving with celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, and more!
Can I Make a Cheese Ball a Day Ahead?
Absolutely! In fact, I think it tastes best this way because it gives the spices a substantial amount of time to infuse into the cheese resulting in a bigger flavor!
How Long Will It Last?
The best way to store this cream cheese ball is uncoated (after mixing, not yet rolled in the crust). Prep it and place it in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- In the Fridge: It will be good for up to 2 weeks. Don’t forget to roll in the crust before serving.
- In the Freezer: Can you freeze a cheese ball? Yes, definitely! It will last for up to one month. Let thaw fully in the fridge before rolling in your preferred crust and serving.
Once you coat it, especially if you use fresh cilantro as this recipe calls for, the cheese ball will be good for 48 hours in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Cheesy Recipes
- Chicken Queso Dip – perfect party app made in the slow cooker
- Cheesy Beef Queso Dip – perfect for dipping taquitos or chips
- Cheesy Hot Crab Dip – hot appetizer, great for parties!
- Rotel Dip – easy, cheesy, versatile dip!
- Bacon Mac and Cheese – A family favorite that’s LOADED with flavor!
Taco Cheese Ball
- 2 cups Mexican cheese shredded
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro finely minced
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Add Mexican cheese to a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Add the Mexican cheese, cream cheese, and taco seasoning to a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Cover the mixture and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Mix together the minced cilantro and the chopped pecans in a medium bowl. Form the cheese mixture into a ball and roll it in the nut mixture until evenly coated. Plate and serve with tortilla chips or crackers.