Beef Tips and gravy are the ultimate comfort food with tender chunks of beef in a rich brown gravy.
Serve these beef tips over mashed potatoes or even rice or pasta for the perfect meal!
Why We Love this Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this recipe. It’s an inexpensive way to feed your family, it’s easy to prepare, and is hearty and delicious. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite in no time!
The meat is extra tender and the gravy is so rich and flavorful.
With endless additions and ways to serve this recipe, it is also easy to stretch! Toss in leftover veggies and serve with leftover rice, potatoes, or pasta noodles and a side of garlic bread for an easy meal!
Beef tips are usually the tender parts of the tenderloin top. Or they can be sirloin tips that come from larger roasts often sold as ‘stew meat’ or, in this case, the more appetizing-sounding ‘beef tips.’
This gravy is made by thickening a beef broth and onion soup mixture with a cornstarch mixture. You can also thicken this gravy using a flour-based roux as well.
How to Cook Beef Tips
These are so easy to cook, and cleanup is a breeze too, with only one pot!
- Brown beef with oil and add onions.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until beef is tender.
- Thicken gravy with cornstarch, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve atop a bed of mashed potatoes, with rice or over egg noodles. Perfection!
There are so many delicious sides to pair with beef, but these are some favorites!
- Starch: Roasted sweet potatoes, egg noodles, or even rice are always perfect with beef.
- Veggies: Serve with a side of sauteed brussels sprouts, or glazed carrots. They are always a hit!
- Salads: An easy kale salad or go for a simple wedge salad is the perfect fresh pairing!
Beef tips with gravy make for great leftovers!
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to reheat.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop and refresh the flavor with a dash of salt and pepper.
Beef tips with gravy are also great to freeze in zippered bags, be sure to label with the date on them. They should keep for about two months.
Delicious Beef Recipes
- Mushroom Salisbury Steak
- Beef Rouladen – hearty & delicious
- Easy Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Stew – comfort food heaven
- Easy Mongolian Beef – a take-out favorite
Did you enjoy this Beef Tips & Gravy recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Beef Tips & Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 pounds cubed chuck or stew meat
- 10 ½ ounces beef broth
- 10 ½ ounces onion soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
To Thicken Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown in small batches. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium, add remaining oil and onion. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add beef, broth, soup, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is fork tender.
- To thicken gravy, combine cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water. Pour into the beef a little at a time while stirring until it reaches desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf and serve over mashed potatoes.