Rotel Dip is an easy cheesy dip that needs just minutes to prepare! With only 4 ingredients, this quick dip recipe has been a crowd pleaser for years!
Ground beef and Rotel tomatoes are mixed with processed cheese and seasonings for a quick and extra creamy favorite.
Prep it and keep it warm in a slow cooker. Serve it with a pile of tortilla chips alongside The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip and Jalapeno Poppers for the best game day spread (don’t forget the Baked Buffalo Wings)!
What is Rotel Dip
Rotel Dip (sometimes called ugly dip) is a very simple recipe, similar to a Queso Dip made extra easy with just 4 ingredients! Processed cheese, a can of Rotel Tomatoes, a bit of chili powder and I add sausage (or ground beef).
If you’re wondering what are Rotel Tomatoes, they’re petite diced tomatoes with green chilis and spices. They have a little heat, I would consider them almost salsa like!
If you want to make Rotel dip and you don’t have Rotel, you can certainly substitute salsa (the flavor won’t be exactly the same and of course then it’s not technically Rotel Dip, but it’ll still be really good).
How to Make Rotel Dip
This cheese dip recipe is as easy as 1,2,3! It honestly couldn’t be more simple.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and cheese to the same pan.
- Stir until melted.
Remember, do not drain the Rotel, as the juices provide the right consistency. We do sometimes add two cans of Rotel! Of course, like most recipes, you can add in your own favorites or change the flavors/additions based on what you have on hand.
Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
- You can certainly make Rotel Dip without meat but we absolutely love making this dip hearty with the addition of ground beef or sausage.
- Brown the meat and drain any fat. Once drained, add your (undrained) Rotel tomatoes and cheese. Stir it all in the same pan until melted.
Rotel Dip with Cream Cheese
- If you’d perfect to skip the processed cheese loaf (Velveeta cheese) you can certainly make this dip with cream cheese instead. Simply replace the processed cheese with an 8oz package of cream cheese.
- If using cream cheese, I also like to add in a handful of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Regardless of the type of cheese, this recipe can be thinned out with a bit of milk if you’d like a thinner consistency.
How to Make Rotel Dip in the CrockPot
This dip can easily be made in the slow cooker. Simply brown and drain the ground beef or sausage as directed and drain. Combine all ingredients in a mini crock pot/slow cooker and set to low 2-3 hours stirring occasionally until melted. Once melted, turn slow cooker to warm.
Even if you cook this recipe on the stove top, using a slow cooker on warm is a great way to serve it at a party! Rotel dip can harden once cooled making it difficult to scoop. If this happens, simply reheat on the stove top or in the microwave until dippable again!
More Easy Dips You’ll Love
- 5 Minute Taco Dip
- Jalapeno Popper Dip (Video)
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip (video)
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Cheesy Hamburger Dip
- The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip (video)
- 1 pound ground beef or mild/hot sausage
- 8 ounces processed cheese *see note
- 10 ounces Rotel Tomatoes undrained
- ½ teaspoon chili powder optional
- Brown ground beef (or sausage) over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Turn heat down to medium and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir until cheese melts and the dip is smooth.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!