This take on a classic cheese ball is crazy good! A zesty seasoned cream cheese & cheddar base is rolled in a bacon pecan crust.
It has all of the basic ingredients with tons of flavor, perfect for scooping with chips, crackers, and veggies!
A Classic for Good Reason
A cheese ball has been around a long time for good reason!
- So much cheesy goodness and flavor!
- It’s perfect for get-togethers because it can be made ahead of time.
- This recipe is versatile, add in your fave seasonings, herbs, and cheeses!
- It’s easy to make, no baking required!
- It’s not just a dip, spread on a sandwich (or a bagel), add to a wrap with ham or melt it with a bit of milk for an amazing pasta sauce!
How to Make a Cheese Ball
Cheese balls are easy to make. Garnish with extra sprigs of parsley or green onions and serve with crostini!
- Beat cream cheese with seasonings (per recipe below).
- Fold in cheddar cheese and half the bacon bits. Cover and chill.
- After the cream mixture has chilled (so it will hold its shape) roll it into a ball (or a cheese log) and roll in the bacon pecan topping.
- Chill again.
Remove the cheese ball from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving. This allows it to soften enough for dipping.
If you’re serving with fragile crackers or chips, add a butter knife to the platter.
Tips to Make Ahead
Make classic cheese balls in advance and take them to a potluck or a party anytime the season calls for a tasty appetizer!
- Cheese balls can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator if they are tightly wrapped (before rolling in the coating).
- Freeze for up to two months and thaw in the fridge overnight.
Perfect Party Dishes
- The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip – creamy cheesy goodness
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites – use fresh or frozen steak
- Blooming Onion Bites – with dipping sauce
- Crispy Oven Baked Potato Skins
- Shrimp Cocktail – a crowd favorite
- Roasted Chestnuts
- Antipasto Skewers – so easy to make
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms – ready in 30 minutes
Did you make this Cheese Ball recipe? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Classic Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- ¾ cup bacon bits or crumbled bacon, divided
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Bake pecans in the oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Cool completely and chop.
- Meanwhile, place cream cheese in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add sour cream, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Beat until combined. Stir in cheddar cheese and ½ cup bacon bits. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and shape into a ball. Combine remaining ¼ cup bacon, chopped pecans, and parsley on a small plate. Roll the cheeseball in the mixture pressing to adhere. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Start with softened cream cheese (this can also be done in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so).
- Sharp cheddar gives the best flavor.
- If desired, a packet of ranch mix can replace the seasonings in this recipe.
- If using store-bought real bacon bits, microwave them on a paper towel until crisp and cool.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)