The tropical flavors of pineapple and coconut are rolled into this easy Pina Colada Cake.
This Pina Colada Poke Cake is a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of tropical pineapple and creamy coconut in a moist and fluffy cake.
Topped with whipped topping and coconut, there is so much to love about this cake!
Pina Colada Poke Cake
- A box of yellow cake mix makes the basic cake so easy to make.
- Simple instructions with no need for cake layers.
- There is no mistaking the wonderful taste of pina colada in this recipe, and you will keep coming back for one more bite.
- A splash of rum (optional) in this pina colada poke cake adds great flavor.
Ingredients in Pina Colada Cake
Cake – This recipe calls for boxed yellow cake mix for a quick fix but of course a yellow cake from scratch would also taste great!
Cream of Coconut – Make sure to purchase cream of coconut for this recipe (not coconut milk). Cream of coconut is a sweeter version that is more like syrup or sweetened condensed milk. This is used in the classic pina colada drink recipe and often found where the drink syrups are like grenadine. If the local store does not sell it, try the liquor store.
Rum – This recipe calls for coconut rum, which is rum flavored with coconut, or try dark rum. Some of the brands which sell this type of liquor are Malibu and Bacardi. To keep it alcohol free, the rum can be omitted without any need for substitution or add a splash of rum extract for flavor.
Toppings – Whipped topping or whipped cream serves a light frosting. Or try this cream cheese frosting! Top with optional coconut, cherries, and pineapple. Try toasted coconut on top for added flavor.
How to Make Pina Colada Poke Cake
- Prepare cake recipe with an electric mixer and bake per recipe below.
- Once cooked, poke holes all around the cake with a skewer.
- Pour the coconut cream mixture over top and cool completely.
- Fold together the whipped topping and coconut extract.
- Top with whipped topping, coconut, cherries, & pineapple.
This party-perfect cake is best made ahead of time. A poke cake soaks up the liquid and gets super moist as it cools.
Poke cake will keep in the refrigerator for a few days in an airtight container, be sure to cover with plastic wrap.
To Freeze: Wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap & then aluminum foil. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
Did you love this Pina Colada Poke Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Pina Colada Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix 15 ounces
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple with juice
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 8 ounces cream of coconut
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup coconut rum I used Malibu
- 8 ounces cool whip thawed
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Maraschino cherries optional garnish
- pineapple wedge optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together cake ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- Wait 5 minutes and then use a skewer or chopstick to poke holes all over the top of the warm cake.
- Whisk together the filling ingredients and then pour over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool and absorb at room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Once cooled, stir together frosting ingredients and frost the cake.
- Top with shredded coconut and optional garnishes if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.