Buttercream Frosting is perfectly rich and creamy, with lots of vanilla flavor! Made with 4 simple ingredients, it is quick to whip up and pipes perfectly onto desserts!
Like lemon buttercream frosting, chocolate buttercream frosting, or a festive peppermint buttercream, this frosting is perfect on top of cakes and cupcakes! It holds its shape well and tastes absolutely delicious!
How to Make It
Made with just 4 simple ingredients,this homemade buttercream frosting recipe is easy to make ahead and pull out when needed.
- Beat butter until fluffy and add in sugar, one cup at a time. (see recipe below)
- Add in remaining ingredients and beat until light & fluffy!
Use this buttercream recipe to spread or pipe on cakes, cupcakes, in between cookies to make homemade Oreos or sandwich cookies, or on a bar or brownie.
To make it your own, stir in some sprinkles, or swap some of the vanilla for almond, lemon, mint or coconut extract for a fun flavor twist.
How to Store Buttercream Frosting
Once prepared, buttercream frosting can be stored in the fridge or freezer. When ready, just follow the steps below to create fluffy homemade frosting as good as when first made!
- In the Refrigerator: Make ahead and store in the refrigerator up to 1 week, depending on the freshness of the butter and cream when prepared.
- In the Freezer: Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months, then let thaw in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
Whether frozen or refrigerated, let the homemade frosting sit at room temperature for several hours to warm up and stir thoroughly before use.
How to Store a Frosted Cake
One reason vanilla Buttercream Frosting is so great for birthday cakes is that it can be left at room temperature for a long time. That means there’s no rush to slice and serve your cake.
- If your cake has a fruit, whipped cream or pastry cream filling, it will need to be refrigerated after a couple of hours.
- If your cake is filled with this buttercream frosting or another non-perishable filling (like Nutella, peanut butter, etc.), it can be stored at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
However, I always store my frosted cakes in the refrigerator when I am not serving for some time because chilled buttercream frosting will always hold its shape better (and you don’t run the risk of someone walking by and sticking their finger in it!).
Try Buttercream Frosting on Top These Tasty Treats:
- Funfetti Cake – fun birthday treat!
- Yellow Cake – rich and tender dessert
- The Best Carrot Cake – most requested dessert
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes – ready in under 30 mins!
- Strawberry Cupcakes – made with real strawberries!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar (600g)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt to taste
- Place butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, one cup at a time, and beat until combined -- it will be thick. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Add cream, a little at a time, and beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Continue adding cream until desired texture and firmness is reached.
- Add a pinch of salt (to your tastes) and beat until combined.
- Spread or pipe onto cake or cupcakes, or see post above for storing for longer periods of time.